Copy story points with story copy from another project

nadibenheigvd June 9, 2021

Hello everyone !

We are a somewhat new team on Jira and currently using the new Jira Software (instead of classic).

Context

We wanted to have 2 boards (1 for refinement, 1 for sprints), but the new Jira Software does not allow that. So we created a new project for our refinement board.

What we do is that when an issue is moved in "done" in the refinement board, it is cloned in the sprint project backlog.

Problem

The problem we face is that 2 information are not cloned with the issue:

• The story points
  • The images (attachments)

Did anyone face a similar problem or does someone have some kind of solution to this problem?

What we tried

We already tried to get the story points custom field id and add it to the cloning action options, but we did not manage to make it work.

Any help is welcome =)

Changing my profile language did not change the text here, but the key words are similar enough to english I think.

Capture d’écran 2021-06-09 à 10.30.38.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Rewinding back to the original problem, have you considered an attempted to create kanban board based upon a filter i.e. your project and simply setting the location of that board to your profile and then adding a link on the side bar of your project to that kanban board? This would affect give you the two kanban board or kanban and scrum board that you desire. In other words there is a manner of having a secondary board.

Thank you for your answer =)

It's the first time I hear about something like that so I will look into it.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

I just tested and it works fine. For some reason this method continues to be ignored in the Community.

1. create a filter that references the TMP project and any desired conditions and save it
  2. go to all Boards view and select create board
  3. choose either Kanban or scrum
  4. select existing filter
  5. enter filter, name the board and for Location choose your profile (very bottom of list)
  6. save it
  7. board created. Copy the URL
  8. go to your TMP project and click +Add item and paste the URL into web address
  9. result - you have a link to your new board
  10. configure the board to share as desired and any other configuration options desired.
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

I have documented in an article here - Multiple-boards-in-Business-and-Team-Managed-Projects?-You-Bet! 

Like nadibenheigvd likes this
nadibenheigvd June 23, 2021

Thank you very much!

For our specific problem, we created a filter for our project with tickets containing the label "to refine".

Then we created a board based on this filter as suggested in your solution.

We can now manage non-refined issue in this boar. I added an automation rule: when an issue is in state "done", then remove the "to refine" label and add the "refined" label. This will allow the ticket to be removed from this board and be ready for our next sprints =)

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

Hi @nadibenheigvd , 

what I would do usually is have one Kanban board for the refinement, and a Scrum board for the sprints. Having 2 projects is just adding a lot of complexity for no real reason I think. It would also double the amount of attachments and storage, not a good idea on the long term.

You should create a company-managed project, this way you can have multiple boards in a single project and move issues between them.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

But you can have multiple boards in TMP, right? I guess I need to give it a try again maybe something is changed since I last did it. I know I have one current TMP that does have multiple boards. 

Well we tried to do what you said (I don't know about the company-managed part) @Alexis Robert, but it looked like having 2 different boards in the same project was only available for the "classic" Jira software. That is why we created another project since we changed our version of Jira software to the new one (excuse me I don't remember the exact names).

If you can give us a hint on how to create a kanban board in the same project (where we already have a scrum board) it would be much appreciated =)
I look into it a little bit now again.

Thanks in advance!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

See instructions in my response

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events