Copy Comments from One Ticket to Another During Automation

Samantha Hiner March 31, 2023

Hello!

I am setting up an automation to move (via cloning and deleting) a ticket from one project to another project based on specified triggers.

As part of this, I would like to copy the comments from the original ticket to the new clone. I've seen lots of articles on using smart values, but why doesn't the Set Field Value option on the Clone Action work?

I am able to copy the Description and Labels using this feature. However, the "Copy Comments from [Trigger OR Current Issue]" does not work for me. I receive an error, "

Could not find your configured field, it may have been deleted? Comments."
Again, the copying of comments on the Clone Action does not work with either "trigger" or "current" issue.
Thank you!
Sam
Automation Setup
Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 1.06.39 PM.png
Error
Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 1.10.55 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Samantha Hiner ,

there are a number of Community posts on copying comments from one issue to another. Here is one that should help you out. Let me know if it does not. 
Add-automation-copy-cloned-story's-comment-into-story-it's-cloned-from 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Also, this article explains the use of smartvalues for comments - jira-smart-values-issues-issue.comments 

Samantha Hiner March 31, 2023

Thanks, @Jack Brickey . I read that article. However, the root of my question is mores so: why do I have to add the branch or smart values (i.e., what appears to be a workaround) when there's a component within the Clone Action to copy comments?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2023

Hmmm, it is interesting that you see Comments as a field to set. I do not have this option. I will try to investigate further, but I'm scratching my head at the moment. I checked two different instances that I have access to but no options to copy the Comments field.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2023

By chance, you don't have a custom field labeled "Comments" do you. Just want to rule that out.

Samantha Hiner April 3, 2023

@Jack BrickeyThanks for noodling on this. From what I can tell, it is not a custom field labeled as "Comments." Odd, right?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

Maybe a question for Atlassian support.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events