Configure workflow - Nextgen project

Ankur Parashar November 28, 2018

How do I configure the issue workflows for a nextgen project type?

8 answers

8 votes
Elliot Gates June 25, 2019

I understand next-gen is intended to be easy-to-use and quick to set up but they've absolutely stripped this back to the bare-bones. One board, per project, and now you cannot even customise the flow? 

The roadmap feature is incredibly useful, if this was implemented in 'Classic Projects' there would be no need to move. 

Vinayakaram Nagarajan July 4, 2019

Absolutely agree

Like # people like this
Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2019

I cannot add a Failed or Cancelled or Rejected status to an issue. So what's the point for Jira then?

Like # people like this
Ann S October 19, 2020

Next-gen wasn't ready for rollout without the user being able to edit the workflow which also means issue types cannot be edited (e.g., can't add blocked status to an issue type).  This feature has been in progress for two years:  JSWCLOUD-17434.

5 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2018

Hey Ankur,

Unfortunately workflow customization isn't available yet for Next-Gen projects. It is on the longer term roadmap though! You can take a look at the recently shipped and coming-soon features of Next-Gen projects here. The note about workflows is on a Community post by one of our product managers discussing features.

Cheers,
Daniel

Edward Strickland January 4, 2019

Work flow seems to be missing from the latest version of the upcoming features has this been dropped?

Like # people like this
Paweł Iwaszko January 10, 2019

Removing custom workflows from the roadmap would be unfortunate. 

Like # people like this
Edward Strickland January 10, 2019

indeed 

Can someone clarify?

Simon Williams January 21, 2019

This would be a huge loss for Jira and would make me search for an alternative

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2019

Hey all,

Some clarifications:

• As of the writing of this post, workflows are not explicitly listed on the coming-soon features page. They are however on the development roadmap for the Next-Gen team. Keep an eye on the coming-soon page for an idea of when it is about to ship.
  • Classic projects are still available with custom workflows. If you need a customized workflow, Classic projects are where you want to be for now.

Next-Gen is still under active development and shaping up. Our development teams are interested in hearing your feedback - the bottom of the sidebar in next-gen projects provides a quick way to send feedback right from Jira:

image.png

Fill out the form and hit Submit! I would suggest using Features as the option about custom workflows.

image.png

Cheers,
Daniel

Like Martin Vincent likes this
Angelo Georgetti March 7, 2019

Daniel, the workflow that we see when we attempt a bulk operation is out of sync with our current board settings.  We created a project with names we quickly abandoned once we figured out how the Next-Gen project worked; however, when we go to perform a bulk operation the initially rejected names are the names on the columns, not the current names.  Are original names attached to columns hardcoded into the system? If not, what fix do you suggest? 

We were on an extensive call with a JIRA product manager yesterday and virtually every feature we sought clarity on/asked help with either could not occur within the Next-Gen framework or had yet to be developed, which was really discouraging from a UX standpoint.

Alexandru Bujor March 29, 2019

Honestly I am tired with Atlassian creating new stuff that misses relevant functionality present in previous versions of the same stuff.

Like # people like this
Andrea Stemp April 1, 2019

Workflow customization is a necessity!

Like # people like this
Vinayakaram Nagarajan July 4, 2019

Just absurd you dont have workflow customization! I cannot merely add a 'cancelled' to workflow!

Like # people like this
4 votes
Dmitry Melikov
Atlassian Team
October 3, 2019

Hey all, 

I am happy to announce that a new workflow editor for Next-gen projects is at the last stage of development and will be shipped very soon.

You can find more details on our Next-gen "what's new" page (see "Reimagining the workflow editor" section): https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/whats-new/next-gen 

I am happy to answer your questions!

Cheers,

Dmitry

Senior Product Manager, Jira Platform

a a November 12, 2019

Hi, It's very sad the most need functional was removed from new type project and it's not availble now. It's really wonder, how could be that? It's not increasing functionality but excluding options and tools without any good replacements . So, there is a problem if worklfow-service "will be back" only in 2020. (

Graham February 9, 2020

@Dmitry Melikov Is there any timeline ETA on this? Page just says 2020.

Like # people like this
Jobi Varghese June 3, 2020

@Dmitry Melikov I want to start using Next-Gen projects. Just wanted to check with you on the release dates of the workflow editor. Any timelines on this. Please let us know.

Thanks

M Shofwan Amrullah August 22, 2020

still no updates?

aliasgarmurtaza September 23, 2020

Any updates? It still shows 'releasing in 2020'. 

Like kevin.kessler likes this
3 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2018

Hi @Ankur Parashar,

I think the next-gen project is different from other Jira project types.

You can do simple process configuration by adding columns and setting rules.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/working-with-next-gen-software-projects-945104895.html

A L February 27, 2019

See feature request https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17434 and add your vote...please :)

Like # people like this
Beth February 27, 2019

I might have begged, a little. No shame.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Mat Chavez January 29, 2019

The lack of feature parity is why we haven't moved, and won't move to next-gen. There are PLENTY of services that do 1:1 without custom workflows. That's JIRA's *advantage*! Without workflows, what's the point? I can get plenty of free options or much cheaper options... it's the custom workflow that makes it (barely) worth the money.

If Atlassian removes this, may as well just use Trello...

Edward Strickland February 4, 2019

Which Atlassian has bought ;) 

Like Beth likes this
Beth February 12, 2019

Wow, they did? I hadn't heard that! We really need workflows to be able to use this.

Stephen Paschall February 26, 2019

We're right there with you. This is an absolute must-have feature for any sizable team. I'd love to have the luxury of time to spend breaking stories up discretely enough that the default workflow was sufficient, but we'd spend so much time managing dependencies and shuffling task meta that we wouldn't actually accomplish the tasks themselves.

As it is, a next-gen project is little more than a task list. There are many less expensive (and more intuitive) solutions in that space.

Like # people like this
Rick Siedle June 20, 2019

Such a shame. I just can't move without workflow either. A lot of the other simplification is awesome. You accidentally took the kitchen sink out too. 

Like M Shofwan Amrullah likes this
1 vote
Deleted user March 12, 2020

For anyone finding this as I did in my search, this may help you.  I have a next-gen software project using the kanban template.  I think next-gen is trying to force you into the sprint mind set which is why it seems you can't edit the workflow but you can.  Anything that is not in the current sprint by definition cannot be 'in progress', etc. and is considered to be in the 'back log' and stuck in 'todo'.  When you move it into the current sprint you can add stages, move them around and the kanban columns appear in the dropdown when editing the issue.

next-gen-workflow.png

After I added "TESTING" to the kanban board it appears in the edit issue screen:

stages.png

Justin Gross April 13, 2020

Additionally, if you have an "aggregate" board that contains issues from multiple projects (can be both next-gen and classic), you will need to "map" that status to one of the columns under "columns" settings for the "aggregate" board. Then you can manage issues from multiple boards under a single "aggregate" "master" planning board.

M Shofwan Amrullah August 22, 2020

But you still can't have more than 1 end-state. For example, I want to have both DONE and CANCELLED as my end-state (that green-colored status). Now all of my CANCELLED tasks are still considered not done or "in progress" by Jira. That's very frustrating. 

0 votes
Mike Pearson June 28, 2021

This seems to be available now.

For Next-Gen projects, go to Project Settings > Issue Types > Story

At the top of the page, next to the "Story" title, is an "Edit Workflow" button

0 votes
Rob Vice August 21, 2019

Having an additional step in the workflow is much better than just To Do and Done.

Particularly, because we stage work or use a review step. Do we need to task out those steps as well in order to get this basic functionality of the original JIRA workflows vs. nextGen?

Suggest an answer