Cloud to server migration - usernames

Konrad Garus September 29, 2020

I'm researching migration from Jira Cloud to Server.

When I restore the backup on servers, user end up with usernames like ug:03775bde-ca11-432b-8833-b3cedeadbeef. It appears there is no other username, they cannot log in with email either.

Is this correct? What is the common, recommended workaround to get them to work again, with human-friendly usernames?

2 answers

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2020

Hi @Konrad Garus 

Yes it's common as usernames are not applicable on Cloud Instance as they have been deprecated, so during migration from Cloud to Server, You will need to ensure that you define a username in the xml file rather than import it like that (although that method is rather complicated) else, you will see those alphanumeric string on the user. Another way you could go about this, is to create those users first using REST API on Jira Server. Jira Server will auto assign a username to those user. So during your import from Cloud to Server if the email address matches, Jira Server can pick up that user as an existing user.

@Prince Nyeche Thanks, this second option sounds intriguing. However, I could not get it to work. Restoring a backup always seems to completely replace my userbase, overwriting whatever I may have created before.

Can you elaborate on it a little? What exactly are the steps here?

Ychambers sealite July 19, 2021

Hi Konrad,

We are migrating from Cloud to Server and are having the same issues as you with the user names.

Can you please let me know how you ended up solving this?

Thanks,

Yemon

Konrad Garus July 20, 2021

@Ychambers sealite in our experience there are 3 reliable ways of migrating users:

1. Use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (you can use it to migrate just the users (to be followed by XML site import), or users and data).
  2. Import the users with the XML site import - but then you must ensure they all have valid and unique email addresses.
  3. Ask Atlassian to import users and groups from a CSV file that you provide, then remove all users from the XML backup and do the site import.

See also: https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/determine-your-user-migration-strategy/

It's getting complicated when you have external user directories - Jira Cloud doesn't support them, you'll have to edit your configuration or manipulate the XML/CSV files so  that they only have the internal directory. We ended up implementing our own custom tools to do this (I can't share them here as we're using them for commercial consulting).

Hope this helps.

Konrad Garus/Expium

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2020

Hi @Konrad Garus ,

Deprecation notice and migration guide for major changes to Jira Cloud REST APIs to improve user privacy.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/deprecation-notice-user-privacy-api-migration-guide/

Thanks. I know about it, but it doesn't really answer my question about migration to Server.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events