Changing background color of an issue on the board based on a criteria

icould June 27, 2017

Hi,

I use kanban board in my support team and the focus is to give answer to customer as quickly as possible. I have issues in a certain column and it works fine for the moment. However, I want to improve the visual appearance of the board and do the following: If the transition to "Reopened" is <2d, set the background of the particular issue in green, if it is <5d and >2d, orange, >5d set it to red. Could you please let me know if this (something similar) is possible in JIRA (or with an extention)? 

4 answers

3 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2017

Hi Aykut,

One option is to set the card color for the issue based on the query.  If you go to the Board > Configure > Card colours and choose Colours based on Queries you can enter a query such as the ones you have above and the issue that matches will have a background card color based on the query.

Cheers,

Branden

ione jayawardena April 25, 2022

This worked perfectly!  I created a label called "Discussion" and then set the card colour based on the query labels = Discussion.  I also used this label to add a gadget to the team dashboard, showing a list of all the issues with the label "Discussion".

Thanks!

Like Deleted user likes this
Milos Davitkovic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2024

hey @ione jayawardena ,

with your solution, did you changing the entire background color of a Jira ticket or a thin strip on the left side of the card ?

I have tried option: Board > Configure > Card colours

and wrote JQL Queries but I am not able to change the entire background of ticket, only the line on the left side.

Like Ri A likes this
ione jayawardena January 29, 2024

Hi @Milos Davitkovic !

Correct, I was only able to get a thin strip of colour on the left side.

Ri A March 15, 2024

Hey @Milos Davitkovic  are you able to share the JIRA JQL you used?. thanks

1 vote
Jason Chayer June 22, 2022

I am looking for an answer as well. I have Card Colours, but it only lines the side of the card with that color. How can you configure it where the whole card is that color?

Martin Boller May 12, 2023

Have the same question .. would prefer the entire card changes - not just a tiny line on a side.

Like Deleted user likes this
Milos Davitkovic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2024

Hey @Jason Chayer , @Martin Boller ,

did you guys find any solution to changing the entire background color of a JIRA ticket, not only a thin strip on the left side of the card ?

I have tried option: Board > Configure > Card colours and wrote JQL Queries but I am not able to change the entire background of ticket, only the line on the left side.

Jason Chayer March 18, 2024

@Milos Davitkovic - unfortunately native Jira does not have this functionality. You would have to get an app for this, I think they recommend Card Colors for Jira. Which, I  believe may be free.

I have seen a few Jira tickets out there for this request, however, I do not believe they will implement this recommendation. I know one of those tickets was created in 2014.

Ri A March 20, 2024

@Jason Chayer  and @Milos Davitkovic I saw this on our board. While I didn't do it myself, I'm sure it works because we use it. See the JQL and the outcome in the images below. I hope it helps. Please let me know if you find it useful. ThanksColourcard1.PNGCOlourcard2.PNG

0 votes
muttlee June 10, 2020

Hi,

In my version of Jira there is no Board > Configure > Card colours.

Once I go into the board, I only have Project Setting and there is no Card option?

SHARON CHESTNUT September 8, 2021

You have to go under board settings in the top right, not project settings.

0 votes
Erman December 27, 2019

Hello bud! Did you find an answer for this question?

Suggest an answer