Change user mention display name

Mike Wong August 23, 2018

I am using Jira Software Cloud and would like to know how can i update/change a user's @mention name ?

Recently one of my staff quit and we have reallocated her Jira/Atlassian access to another new joiner. we updated the email and full name of that account to the new staff's, but the mention name is still showing the previous person's name.

Please advise.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Bosman [Realdolmen]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2018

Hi,

First of all, normally you do not give the account to a new person and change the details because you lose track of what the first and the second user did. Probably this is even a violation with some laws to. :-(  

What do you do?

• Disable the account of the person who is leaving. 
  • Create a new account for the new user.
  • If needed you can perform a bulk move to change the user that is assigned to the new user. 

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave, 
Thanks for the advise, sadly my Jira license tier is max'ed, and to add a new user, i gotta remove the previous user if i deactivate or remove the previous user, and then add a new user, will tickets tied to the previous user be assignee-less ? 

if 'bulk move' can achieve this, may i know in which section of settings do i perform this action ? 

Dave Bosman [Realdolmen]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2018

Hi,

You can simply deactivate a user and it will not count towards the license tier anymore. (never remove the user)

And if you deactivate it will keep all the information so you will not loose any information. 

For bulk move you can find the information here

Regards

Dave

0 votes
Syauqi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2018

Could you have a check in the user management of the JIRA Cloud and see if the user have the updated Full Name and Email Address?

Cheers,

Syauqi

We have updated Full Name and email address about 2 days ago. we even checked at id.atlassian.com on the user account settings, it is all updated except the 'mention name' is still not reflecting.

Syauqi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2018

I've tested on my end, changing the Full Name or email address should reflect the new information in JIRA.

Refreshing the browser should refresh the mention name.

Let me know if you aren't getting the same result. Otherwise we would require to further investigate on your Cloud instance.

Cheers,

Syauqi

Mike Wong August 24, 2018

Refering to the screenshot. how can I get the name in the bracket updated ?
the person name "Eddie Chong" is no longer with us.
Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 4.19.12 PM.png

Syauqi
Atlassian Team
September 16, 2018

Hi Mike,

I've raised a support ticket to further look into this ticket. We'll reach you out soon.

Cheers,

Syauqi 

Syauqi
Atlassian Team
September 20, 2018

Seems my colleague had performed a fixed on the backend on the support ticket.

Let us know if you have any further issue.

Cheers,

Syauqi

Suggest an answer