Change so I can see issue key instead of issue ID in issue history

Max Ålander May 16, 2022

Hi!

When I go into the history of an issue to find out which parent it had previously I can only find the issue ID. This is the only place I see the issue ID and I'm not sure how to use it.

Question regarding Jira.png

It would be much more handy for me to have the issue key instead.

Is it possible to change the settings of our Jira instance or project to show the issue key instead of the issue ID?

2 answers

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022
Max Ålander May 17, 2022

Thanks @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ !
It helps me to understand how to use the issue ID, but not if I can change settings to show issue key instead.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

There's no way to change the display,

The history is recording a minimum - the unique immutable id of an issue.  It might actually not want to be presenting the issue keys as they could be misleading or useless.

Imagine you've got these two linked: 

48415 ABC-123

49738 DEF-456

Now you delete ABC-123 and move DEF to XYZ-567

What would your history display?  The deleted one doesn't have a key, so I'd fall back on the issue id with "deleted" on it because you need something for auditors, but on the move, do you display the current ID, or what it was when you linked them?

Max Ålander May 17, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I understand what you mean but for me it would be more useful with issue key in most of the cases.

What about @Sreenivasaraju P screenshot shown further down in the answers? There you can see the issue key instead of the issue ID.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2022

Some places will display the issue key, especially if the issue is still there.

Max Ålander May 18, 2022

The issue is still there, but it only shows the issue id.

0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2022

Hi @Max Ålander ,

Welcome to the community,

Could you please provide further details like are you moving sub-task of task (standard issue type) to other task  or are you referring moving task from epic to other epic. 

But in both case, it is reflecting issue key only, please mention your scenario.

history.PNG

Max Ålander May 17, 2022

Thank you got the warm welcome @Sreenivasaraju P !

In this case it was a story that moved from one parent epic to another.

What you show in your screenshot is what I want to see.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events