Cannot Update issues for a Project

Elif Alverson July 6, 2017

Hello, 

I was able to update issues for a project just yesterday, but it seems like today it is not possible.  It seems like only when the issue is in OPEN state , i can edit it. Not the rest of the workflow states.

How can I enable edit based on a issue statuses? 

Thanks!

Elif

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2017

This sounds like the workflow may have had "do not edit" properties added to the status.  Check the step/status properties on the workflows.  I think it's something like jira.issue.editable.

Nic, 

I have checked it however it is not it. Here is the screen shot below.

image.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2017

There is only one way to set up JIRA to prevent "edit" in some status and not others, and that is with workflow properties.

Have you checked the permissions are set to let you edit?  Could you also check for properties on "open"?

Nic, 

I have checked the permissions and i do have the permissions to edit this project. On the other hand I can edit on OPEN state, not the rest of the states. I have checked the open state properties and there is nothing there as well. 

I can make changes on the main screen on any workflow states, however when the open the EDIT screen, if the issue is other than OPEN state, update button dont work. I can only use the close button.

image.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2017

Ah, hang on, that's slightly different.  "Cannot edit" to me means "the option is not there", and that's what the properties would do.

What you're seeing is that you can start to edit, but not complete, as the "update" button does nothing.   This implies possibly a failed validator with a broken error message (it should tell you why it's failing with some text appearing, but if you have a browser blocking popups, or dodgy validator code, it can fail to show).  If there's definitely no feedback, we'll need to read what the log says when you try the update click.

I unblock the pop blocker, there is no error message. 

image.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2017

Ok, it's definitely time to read the logs then.  What does clicking "update" throw into them?

Nic,

I requested to get the log files however it started to work. Update button functions right now!!! No idea what happened.

Suggest an answer