Can you use JQL on a User Picker (multiple users) custom field to query by number?

Michael Novotny October 31, 2017

I have a custom field in JIRA of type "User Picker (multiple users)". Let's call it Approvers. 

I'd like to write some JQL like "Approvers" > 3, but JIRA is unhappy about that saying "The operator '>' is not supported by the 'Approvers' field.".

Is this even possible?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Michael Novotny November 1, 2017

In case others run into the same problem, I wound up using automation to solve my problem.

Specifically, I wound up creating a hidden number field, that when the "User Picker (multiple users)" field was updated, it would use issue.field.customfield_1234.size to update the count of the hidden number field.

Teressa Reed June 22, 2021

Is this only available on cloud?

Marc Isikoff September 20, 2023

I tried this on server version - use {{issue.customfield_1234.size}} - updates the number field.

Tested with {{issue.field.customfield_1234.size}} no update to number field

Tested with {{issue.customfield_1234.size[0]}} no update to number field

This is for the number of people inside of a multi people picker field.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

That's because "approvers" is a list of users.  The question you're asking if translated into plain English is "Are Dave, Alice and Bob greater than three?".  Which is not a valid question.

You will need to set up a sensible question - either create a JQL function that will count up the number when given a field name, or a custom scripted field that can add it up.  Either way, you'll need an add-on of some sort to provide the code to do this.

Suggest an answer