Can you clear out Story point estimate field with automation?

Jim May 12, 2023

All I've been able to do via automation is set the Team-managed project custom `Story point estimate` field to 0. Is there any way to clear it out?

It looks in the editmeta REST endpoint that all I can do it `set` the field, is there a way to set it to an empty value?

I've tried variations of this:

{
  "fields": {
    "Story point estimate": {{clear}}
  }
}

{
    "Story point estimate": {{remove}}
  }
}

{
  "update": {
    "Story point estimate": {set:{{clear}}}
  }
}

But the only thing that has worked is setting it to 0, which is not optimal

{
    "Story point estimate": 0
  }
}

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

Hello @Jim 

You said specifically "Story point estimate". Does that mean that you are working with issues in a Team Managed project?

Can you show us the Automation Rule you are currently using to set the value to 0? In my system "Story point estimate" is not a field that is selectable in the field list in the Edit Issue action, so I would guess you might be using Advance Editing with JSON to set it.

Jim May 12, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill,

That's right, and I've updated my original description to add more detail. Thanks for the help!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

This works for me.

{
"Story point estimate": null
}
}

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Jim May 12, 2023

Perfect, that worked! Thank you so much!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
0 votes
Himanshi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2023

Hello @Jim , 

Welcome to the community!

If I understood your requirement correctly you wish to set an empty value for the story point field using the automation rule, if it is correct try keeping the value field empty in the automation rule. Sharing a snippet for reference. Hope it would help 

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 10.34.24 PM.png

Jim May 12, 2023

Hi @Himanshi,

Sorry, I am using the "Story point estimate" field, otherwise I would be able to do it this way. I am able to edit that field in bulk to clear it out, but I can't do it via automation in any way that I've tried.

artem.gaydarly
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 2, 2023

Hi @Jim! Can you please share how did you manage to clear story points value by bulk edit?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events