Can you change format of custom field

Gregory James May 19, 2023

Currently I have a text field (custom) - It's a text box, I'd like to make it a number only box WITHOUT deleting it and recreating a new one. Is there anyway to change the format of a textbox to number only without deleting it and recreating it? Like change the Field Type to NUMBER ONLY, AFTER it being text?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Nop, you can't switch the kind of a custom field. You must recreate a new one (and delete the previous if it's necessary).

However, you can create an automation rule to copy the value from the old to the new .

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 20, 2023

Hi @Gregory James

kindly check out this question/thread for different approaches on copying the data from your old custom field to your new custom field: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Can-we-change-a-custom-field-created-from-quot-Text-field-quot/qaq-p/2229865

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Mahmoud Kardan May 19, 2023

Sir, we have a field that was supposed to be a number and wrongly been formatted as text. Over 98% of the  entered data are numbers and correct, about 2% are incorrectly entered  as text ( two number with "," between) , If we make a new field, we loss three years history, which make the program useless. I need one of the following option

1- change the format from text to number and willing to loss that 2% of the data

2- make a new field with number format and transfer the old column, it's okay if we loss some data

Mahmoud Kardan May 22, 2023

I need to know, if I create a new field, how I transfer to old field to this new field?

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 22, 2023

Hi @Mahmoud Kardan

kindly check out this question/thread for different approaches on copying the data from your old custom field to your new custom field: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Can-we-change-a-custom-field-created-from-quot-Text-field-quot/qaq-p/2229865

Best,

Hannes

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events