Can we change a custom field created from "Text field" to "Select List"

Akil Official January 3, 2023

Hi Team,

I am a Jira Admin. I would like to know if it is possible to change a custom field that is created as text field earlier into an select list type. If possible, can you let me know how to do that. 

Thanks

Akil

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2023

Hi @Akil Official 

Unfortunately you can't change it. What you can do is to create a new field and then copy the values from all issues of the old field, to the new field.

Akil Official January 4, 2023

Hey @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ i created a new field as select list. But how can i copy those values from all the issues of the old field..can you please help me with that?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2023

@Akil Official you can create a self transition on your workflow(s) and the add a post function to copy the fields. For this action you might need an app such as JMWE, JWT, JSU

ok @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ . I am not sure if i will be able to get that apps as this JIRA is  customised specifically for our client. I tried looking at JIRA automation but i couldnt find thta option available in my project settings either.

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

@Akil Official self transition is a part of a workflow, not Jira automation. You could also do this with Jira automation. In this case

• Add a manual trigger
  • User a lookupissue component and find all issues you want to copy the field
  • Add a branch rule for the lookup issues
  • Edit the new custom field and add as value the smart value {{issue.old custom field name}}
  • Test your rule

I would advise running this rule only to an issue first, in order to make sure that this works as expected. And then go full scale.

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_  i couldnt find Automation tab under the project settings in my JIRA. i am really not sure where to find it

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

Care to share a screenshot of your project settings?

Screenshot 2023-01-04 180104.png

Please find the pic shown above.

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

@Akil Official you are on jira server/dv and not on cloud. Do you see any "project automation" selection?

Akil Official January 5, 2023

No.. couldnt find that ..let me check if its available somewhere

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2023

Hi @Akil Official

for copying values from your old field to your new field, this would also be very easy to do with the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you'd do in e.g. Google Sheets or Excel. You can also bulk-edit your fields, using copy/paste. This makes it very easy to copy values from one column (i.e., field) to another column/field.

This is how this looks in action for two date fields - it works the same way for any other fields:

bulk-copy-paste.gif

You only need to make sure that the values "fit" the new field. If that's not already the case, you can e.g. copy your values to Excel, manipulate them there, and then copy them back to JXL. Happy to elaborate more if you're interested.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Hey @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira i would like to know more about this. 

In this case we need to create a separate sheet, and this can just be used in case of bulk editing and all?? 

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2023

Hi @Akil Official

correct - in JXL, you can create as many sheets as you want, so you can simply create a new sheet that you're using exclusively for the copy/pasting of your field values.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events