Can you auto-delete based on key word/email address

Connor Jones March 25, 2021

We get a lot of emails come into our Jira system which need to come in but not marked as an actual issue. So we just want it to be deleted.

Is it possible to delete a ticket based on key word or email address?

Regards

Connor

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

Can you provide a bit more info about how emails are coming into Jira? Are you talking about Service Desk (Service Management) email request types? Or are you using an issue collector or mail handler to create issues in a Software project?

You could probably use an automation rule (either global or project-level) to immediately delete any issues that are created if the Description field (assuming email body maps to Description) contains any of your keywords or email addresses.

In its simplest form, it could look like this:
2021-03-25 13_49_25-Project automation - Jira Staging - Vivaldi.png

To get more detailed, you could use the Advanced Compare condition on the Description field to filter via regex:
2021-03-25 13_53_35-Automation conditions _ Jira Software Cloud _ Atlassian Support.png

You could, if desired, add additional steps to this that would, for example, send an email to you letting you know that a ticket was deleted (and include the content) so that you can manually recreate it if necessary. Or email the original sender to let them know that their email was rejected.

Connor Jones March 25, 2021

Hi Esther Strom,

Thanks for getting back to me with this answer. As I am new to Jira, I wasn't quite sure where to go but after reading your answer, I went to the automation section. The only difference from yours is I used "If reporter is" instead.

And yes, this is using the service desk management service, so when someone emails our support email address, it forwards to Jira and then we can see the issue and who it came from originally.

Regards

Connor

Like Esther Strom likes this
0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

It will not delete, but you could create a status in the workflow for this requests and then use automation to move them to that status based on the email address/key word. Then if you want to delete them you can use a filter and the bulk delete option. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events