Can you assign service desk tickets to person cc'ed in an email?

Richard Morgan March 4, 2021

In one of our service desk projects we want to know if it possible to auto-assign a ticket from a received email to the system where there is a cc, i.e. assign the ticket to the person who is cc'ed?

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

Is the first person in the CC field a user who has Service Team Member permissions for the service desk project where the issue is getting created?

Only a person who has been set up as a Service Team Member can be assigned to an issue in a service desk project.

Yes I chose a team member as the cc, Doesn't work :(

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

Hi @Richard Morgan,

I think you should be able to do what you want at the system level by adding a new mail handler.

If you create a new incoming mail handler to create new issues, one of the options is to assign the issue to the first cc'd user.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Is this solution applicable to just at the project level? Looked to me like it's a system wide change.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2021

It is unfortunately a system level change.  I don't think there are an Jira Automation rules that cover this at only the project level.

@Jimmy Seddon My mistake. You can choose the project. Which I did and added it with the cc box checked. I then sent an email to the service desk with a cc, but that person was not assigned. Is there any change I need to make in the project itself to use the mail handler?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2021

Hey @Richard Morgan,

I would check and see if the create screen in your screen configuration for the Email request includes the assignee field.  You can test this by manually starting to create an issue and selecting the email request as the issue type.  It will display what fields are available.  If you don't see the assignee field.  It might not be included and therefore it can't be set.

Just something to check.

-Jimmy

Richard Morgan March 5, 2021

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon . It does not include the assignee field. How do I add it?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2021

Hi @Richard Morgan,

If you go into the project settings, you should be able to find "Screens" on the left hand menu.  This will tell you what you Screen Scheme is.  What you want to find from here is the scheme that matches the issue type for the request you were tying to make.  Then you will want to click the pencil icon on the right had side to edit that scheme, which will take you to a new page.  On the new page, you want to click the edit button for the the screen listed as "Create issue" (If you don't have "Create issue" set, you will want to edit "Default").  This will take you to a new page the edit the screen itself.  On this page, simply add the "Assignee" field.

That "should" get you everything you need.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events