Can you assign multiple due dates WITHIN ONE ISSUE/TICKET in JIRA?

Jennifer Lamont July 20, 2021

I use JIRA to manage marketing projects/traffic and for each project, I assign one ticket. Within that ticket, there are multiple due dates to complete along the way before final due date. Using sub-tasks creates additional ticket numbers and I don't want to do that. Is it possible to create multiple dates within this one ticket (and, with their own assignee if possible?) This should be a much easier process, Atlassian. Please help, thank you! 

4 answers

3 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

You could certainly add an additional custom due date field. But please don’t name it Due date. 😉

Thanks Jack, I will try that. lol

Madhuri Pulipaka
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 19, 2022

How to create a custom due date? Please share the process.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2022

@Madhuri Pulipaka ,

for CMP - settings > issues > custom fields, add custom field and choose the date type. Associate to your desired screens. Note: you must have system admin permissions.

Madhuri Pulipaka
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 20, 2022

Thanks 😊

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2021

Hi @Jennifer Lamont  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Agreeing with what Jack and Dillon suggest, I have a follow-up question:

What is your concern with using multiple issues (parent/child issues) to track the work?

You noted that:

I use JIRA to manage marketing projects/traffic and for each project, I assign one ticket. Within that ticket, there are multiple due dates to complete along the way before final due date.

If there are multiple due dates, that appears to mean you have different milestones and/or different pieces of work which add up to the total project.  Why then not track each pieces progress (with due dates, status, etc.) separately?  That could give you better visibility of progress and remaining work.

Best regards,
Bill

Hello, Bill. Thank you for your help! Your suggestion sounds good but these are fast projects (and sometimes each deadline within the job is only a day or two apart) and several people are involved. I don't want to have several related additional ticket numbers to track. I am new to JIRA but it seems like it would complicate things. I need it to act like a calendar that I can sort by assignee, deadline, etc. if that makes sense. I was hoping that if I could put additional values (deadline dates) into the ticket, I could track that way. I think the above answers may help if I can get additional custom date fields added. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Dillon July 20, 2021

I would have originally advised using sub-tasks to managed separate due dates and deliverables.

However, if we want to roll with the 1 issue scenario, I would recommend creating additional date custom fields.

Custom date fields are set to display in the same location on the issue view screen as standard date fields.

Hi Dillon, thank you for your help. I'll ask about getting these custom dates added. Thanks for the reply!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2021

Hi @Jennifer Lamont 

What about an advanced checklist where you list the task, person associated, and due date?

You won't be able to search by assignee, but it could be a good compromise to avoid creating lots of mini issues. 

This is what it could look like with the app Elements Checklist

Elements-Checklist-event-mgmt.png

The tags on your post indicate you are using Jira Software, but Jira Work Management sounds better suited because there are calendar and GANTT style views to see progress. Have you tried creating a project in Jira Work Management?