Can we change a user's email address without creating a new user?

Kel Hill October 28, 2020

When a woman marries and takes her husband's surname and we have created a new email address for her, is there a way to edit the email address in her existing Atlassian user profile, or does she have to be created as a new user?

We were able to do many thing to user records a few years ago that no longer seem possible. :(

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2020

Hi Kel,

If the account is managed, then go to Settings > User Management

In the navigation at the very top there should be an option for Directory.

Click that and then search for the user.

Then you should be able to edit the user and change the email address. 

Thanks, John Funk - I had no idea Directory existed!  Much appreciated.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2020

Glad I could help.  :-)

Like # people like this
PMGS ITAdmin BigBear AI May 28, 2021

Ummm, what am I supposed to do if there is no "Directory" at the top or anywhere for that matter.

2021-05-28 12_01_57-Administration.png

Kel Hill May 28, 2021

@PMGS ITAdmin BigBear AI 

in the left column, down a little further do you see Jira Service Management? if so, select that and you may then be able to see Directory 

Unfortnately, no.

2021-05-28 12_26_12-Administration.png

When I go to Jira configuration and click the "Switch to" I do get a choice for Jira Service Management to "try"

2021-05-28 12_28_04-Jira Configuration - JIRA.png

But this appears to be a subscription we dont have.

2021-05-28 12_31_16-Jira Configuration - JIRA.png

Kel Hill May 28, 2021

@PMGS ITAdmin BigBear AI 

We have always had Service Management (which used to be called Service Desk). I don't think you would have a customer list whose email addresses you would sometimes need to update unless you use Service Management. I think you would only currently have internal users, not customer users. It is internal user you need to change an email address for?

Yes, all internal.  We've recently been acquired and all employee email addresses are changing.

We login using email address as username, so Im hoping changing the email address of a user also changes their username for sign in.

Kel Hill May 28, 2021

Hi @PMGS ITAdmin BigBear AI 

I am not sure what is different between your setup and my own, but when I select the gear icon and then "User management" is get a list of our internal users, but my main nav at the top still includes "Directory". After I select Directory, my user list then has "Show Details" in the last column and in there anyone can update the user's email address. 

You may need to submit a Support request to find out why you are not seeing the Directory option at the top or if there is some other way to edit the email addresses under your setup.

My list of users that includes the "Show Details" column is located under Admin -> My Company Name -> Managed Accounts.  Another possible way you might be able to access the "Directory" option: Is there a grid menu in the very top left corner of the screen, located just in front of the Atlassian logo? In there you might find "Administration". Select that and then select User Management and see if that makes "Directory" show up in the top row or not.

Sorry I'm grasping at this point. You may need to ask for Support.

PMGS ITAdmin BigBear AI June 1, 2021

I do have the show details link for each user, but going into it does not provide a way to change email address.  That was the first thing I tried.

user list.jpg

user.jpg

Its really quite annoying.  Such a basic function.

Thanks for your help.

Kel Hill June 1, 2021

Hi again @PMGS ITAdmin BigBear AI 

Is yours a 'managed' account? It is possible your setup is different from mine.

As you can see in my original inquiry below, when I tried to change my email address from View Details I was seeing the message "Your account is managed."

The response I accepted at the top of this page pointed asked me if mine was a managed account and then pointed me in the direction of the "Directory" menu option which possibly only appears in "managed accounts". In my instance, it is only after I go into Directory that I can THEN select View Details and edit both the name and the email address of the internal user. The answer up above worked for me, because I see "Your account is managed."

If you don't see the details in this screencap, yours must not be set up as a 'managed account' and behaviour in user profiles may be different.

editable.png

PMGS ITAdmin BigBear AI June 2, 2021

Yep, they are managed accounts so I should be getting "Directory" but I dont.

I'll have to open a ticket I guess.

change pw but managed.jpg

Waqas September 30, 2022

Hi @PMGS ITAdmin BigBear AI ,

Have you found out something? I am also in the same shoes as you but the only difference is I have Jira Service Management but still I cannot find the directory option. I have a doubt maybe this option is only available to the owner of the app. 

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2020

Hi @Kel Hill 

I believe the person can do so by:

• Click on their avatar graphic
  • Select profile
  • Select manage your account
  • Select email
  • Update it and save changes

Best regards,

Bill

Thanks, Bill Sheboy

When I follow those steps I get...

Change email

Your current email address is kel@b4checkin.com

Managed account

Your account is managed.
Contact your administrator to change your email address.

(I am the administrator.)

Like Mitchell Meighen likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2020

Sorry, I missed it was a managed account.  Looks like John got you the right answer.

__Bill

Like Darryl Lee likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events