Can the sprint list and the backlog list use different filters in an agile board?

Jordan Sandford October 6, 2014

As a Scrum Master of a team that started to use JIRA agile with thousands of previously closed JIRA tickets,

I want the backlog list on the Agile board to NOT show previously closed tickets that are NOT in a sprint while ensuring that the sprint list(s) above the backlog list on the board shows all tickets assigned to the sprint

So that anyone using the Agile board will be able to easily ignore previously closed tickets not in a sprint.

Other information:

I'd like to know if the obvious way to go about this (assign all existing closed tickets to a new sprint called something like 'Archived Tickets') a valid work around.

More importantly, I'd like to know if there is another way (some built in way) to accomplish this without the workaround I just stated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jordan Sandford October 6, 2014

Thank you for your reply, Nic. I wrongly assumed the backlog list showed closed tickets because I haven't seen (before investigation your answer) how the agile board displays closed tickets (i.e. marked out).

Also, thanks for the "closed and updated < start date of sprint" JQL snippet that may be of use to me other others!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2014

The really easy fix - add a clause to your board filter to exclude them completely.  Of course, you need a way to identify them ("closed and updated < start date of sprint" for example)

That leads me to ask why they're appearing at all though.  A backlog shouldn't contain closed issues, so the question is why they're there...

Suggest an answer