Can't rename a project

Be Victoryus June 14, 2020

This is super annoying but I just created a JIRA for a client, and a project then realized the project wasn't NextGen. I deleted it and created a new on but now I can't give it the right name because it says there is already a project with that name and key. 

I can't restore it, talk to customer service, and the account is linked to my gmail so I'm certain if I start over it will give me fits.  

Any suggestions?

3 answers

0 votes
Jeff January 10, 2022

Assumptions on my part (supported by the OP's tags):

* Jira Cloud

* Permissions: Administrator

* Project type: Classic (or whatever they call them these days - essentially not "next gen")

In case anyone else encounters this, I believe that deleting a project is completely possible.  When you delete a (classic) project, it is a "soft delete" meaning it is moved to a temporary "trash" location where it will exist for 30 (or 60, can't remember) days and then is finally permanently purged.  As Admin, you can go to said trash bin and force it to be purged at which point should be able to fully reuse project key and/or name - try this:

* navigate to "Trash"

* from any project, select the "gear" icon in the upper right

* select "Projects" under "JIRA SETTINGS"

* Click the "Trash" link in the resulting left-hand nav

* Search for and/or find your "deleted" project

* Click the ellipses at the end of the row

* Choose to permanently delete your project

You should immediately be able to reuse your project key to your heart's content again.

Done.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2020

Hello @Be Victoryus,

Welcome to Community!

Allow me to step in and share with you that currently, it's not possible to reuse a project key in Jira Cloud.

When deleting a project, even if all the information is removed from the UI, the key is retained in the database, that's why it shows an error informing that a deleted project uses the key.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of such ability:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2020

Hi @Be Victoryus  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you completely delete a project, it should let you reuse both the name and the key. 

I would give it a try again, and if you still get the same error, can you post a screenshot here?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events