Can a group of users mention in a project without getting global permission to browse all projects?

Angelica Agud April 21, 2021

I have a group of Freelancers. I want them to have access only to certain projects and in those projects I want them to be able to mention other people. However, I don't want them to see all the other projects I have in Jira.

Is this possible? Thank you. 

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

@Angelica Agud it is!

I couldn't say it any better than in this article here. https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/how-to-restrict-project-access-for-teams-in-jira-cloud-953142266.html

It does require getting a good understanding of permission schemes, groups and project roles but once you have followed this - it should (ideally) make it a lot clearer.

Thanks for your help :), see my solution above.

Like Ash Pitt likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

Hi @Angelica Agud,

Yes this is possible. There is no such thing as a browse all project permission though. Browse project is a permission specific to each project, and therein lies the foundation for the solution you are looking for.

If you are using company-managed projects, the default permission scheme used for creating projects out of the box unfortunately grants browse project access to all logged in users, as you can see here:

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 12.32.58.png

To mitigate that, you should remove that permission from the permission scheme of all projects where you want to apply more control over who can access them. Assign roles to the permission and then, associate users or groups with those roles on a per project basis.

For more details, see this support article.

Be careful though when you start modifying this. Removing the application access from the permission scheme may cause many of your current users to lose the access they currently have. So plan ahead and look at who should access each project and preferably assign users to the correct roles first in your project to ensure continuity.

Hope this helps!

Hi Walter,

Thanks a lot for your help. I managed to do it, however, not by adding the newly-created group to the permission scheme attached to the project (under Browse Projects). That didn't fully work... The group members would have access to that project only, however, they weren't able to mention other people. The only way I managed to enable mentioning was by adding the group to the global permissions 'Browse users and groups'.

Luckily in our Jira, we don't have the 'Application access (Any logged in user)' as default, so the newly-created group doesn't have access to any projects, unless people in the group are added manually to the project by the manager :)

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Angie

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events