Can Kanban users rearrange board columns?

John Tucci December 7, 2021

We have team-managed Kanban boards, and one of our workflows is somewhat lengthy, with a segment that doesn't pertain to the entire team (sub-flow). As a result, we have a number of status columns on the project board that most of the users don't use/need to view. 

Is there a way for Users (not Admins) to rearrange columns so that infrequently used columns can be moved "out of the way"? I have added my request to an open request for a column Show/Hide feature.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2021

The board admins can indeed re-arrange, or even remove columns.

However, it's not going to help you much.  Issues with status not in columns won't appear on the board, which usually defeats the purpose of having the board, and, more importantly, the last column on the board is important as it is "done".  This means you can't move columns to the right to get them "out of the way" because you always need them to appear before the last column.

John Tucci December 8, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

As always, thanks for the prompt reply. I realize that board Admins can rearrange columns, and thus, I assume that each Member has that column arrangement when viewing the board. My question is: Can the board Members rearrange columns so that they each can have a "custom" column arrangement?

Also, my "Done" status column is labeled "Development Complete" and it isn't the rightmost column...here are the rightmost/center/leftmost column views:
WINProgramming_BoardCenterView.pngWINProgramming_BoardCenterView.pngWINProgramming_BoardRightView.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2021

No, a board's settings are for the board.  If someone re-arranges a board's columns, all people viewing that board will see the changes.

John Tucci December 8, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thanks for confirming; I also confirmed that with the software team this morning. This lead to a much larger discussion about our Workflow. The good news is that the discussion made us aware that we have considerable work to do on our Workflow; the bad news is that some minds may need to change/open to the idea that it's time to start the journey to streamline/improve our process(es) and abandon "...but that's the way we've been doing it" mentality.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events