Can I replace an existing workflow with a different workflow?

David Rue
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2018

The project has the default workflow applied to it. I created a new workflow that is currently inactive, thinking I could then apply the new workflow to my project. Is this possible, or do I have to edit the current workflow that is already applied to the project?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2018

Hi David, 

no, of course, you can apply your workflow to the project. Do it like that:

• create a new workflow scheme
  • add your workflow to the workflow scheme
  • assign the new workflow scheme to your project

This was, of course, a very short description. You can find detailed information here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/working-with-workflows-828787890.html

But if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask here.

David Rue
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2018

Hey Thomas, 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not to the point where I want to make the change just yet, but I wanted to be sure I could. I'll follow your steps once I'm ready.

Thanks again.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2018

You're welcome, @David Rue

If you think, your question is answered, please mark the answer with the check-sign.

People with similar questions can find answered questions more easy with such a marker.

Thank you  

Eugene Kovalchuk September 1, 2019

@Thomas Schlegel Is it possible to do same transition without switching no new workflow scheme (i.e. replace current workflow in existing scheme by other workflow)?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2019

Hi @Eugene Kovalchuk ,

yes, of course. Just replace an existing workflow in an existing scheme with a new one by assigning it to an issue type.

Eugene Kovalchuk September 2, 2019

Hi, @Thomas Schlegel. Thank you for prompt feedback!
One more question. First screen of scheme switching recommends to “backup Jira data before proceeding with the workflow association”. Does replacing a workflow within existing scheme is a transition of same complexity in terms of risks?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2019

Well, it is always a good idea to have a backup.

Changing the workflow scheme will look at every single issue in your project, assign the workflow to every single issue and replaces the status which do not exist anymore with the new ones (you have to define the replacement rules while changing the scheme).

We never had a problem with that functionality for more than 13 years now, but it is recommended - I think for a good reason.

Like # people like this
Lukáš Zikmund
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 22, 2020

Hi, thanks for the info. It's very useful to me!

Michael Gibson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 11, 2020

If I switch workflows to one I have created in the same scheme will the assigned statuses be lost or will they pick up on the new workflow ? - Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Susan Briscoe November 23, 2021

@Thomas Schlegel, will changing a workflow within an existing workflow scheme trigger a look at ALL issues within the project with that issue type, or only OPEN issues within the project with that issue type?

Suggest an answer