Can I map issues between boards

Brady October 15, 2019

I have three boards; Board A, Board B, and Board C.

When I create an issue in Board A with Epic B, I would like to automatically create (or copy) the issue into Board B.

Ideally, transitioning the issue between statuses in either board would affect the issue in the other board.

I.e. Issue 1 (Epic B) is created in Board A which is a scrum board. The creation of Issue 1 automatically creates (copies) Issue 1 in the Board B (a KanBan board) Backlog. Moving the issue into a new sprint in Board A, and starting that sprint, automatically transitions the issue in Board B into a "Selected for Development" column. The issue then follows its own life cycle according to Board B, and when it is finished according to Board B's definition of "done", it is moved to a "Staged for deployment" column in Board A.

This use case allows Board A to be an aggregate view of all issues, and subsequent boards to be more detailed views of a feature or service. 

Any suggestions would be great. Also if you think this might be overkill or bad practice I'd love to hear your opinions on why this might be a bad idea!

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2019

You can get roughly what you suggest, but there's a couple of things to understand first.

A board is not a container for issues (projects are containers).  A board selects issues to display.  

You can not

• move issue from one board to another (you change an issue such that one board stops selecting it and another begins to)
  • create an issue in a board (you create an issue that the current board still selects)
  • have an issue in a board follow a lifecycle dependent on board (the lifecycle (workflow) of an issue is determined by the project and issue type, which the board then selects from)

You absolutely can

• "transition an issue between status in either board" - if you transition an issue, it changes the issue.  As a board is a view of the issue, all boards the issue is on will show the change
  • "Board A to be an aggregate view of all issues, and subsequent boards to be more detailed views of a feature or service." - set up A to show all of them, and all the other boards to show what they need to.
Brady October 16, 2019

Thanks! Could you let me know where I could read more about creating workflows?

Suggest an answer