Can I get just-created stories into a new sprint board column?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2023

In the Sandbox, I was given a requirement to automatically place Development issues into a sprint board new first column.

In board Settings, I moved the unique (not shared) first status for issue type/workflow "Dev Story" issues to the new first column. 

However, I need do the same for old workflow "Story" issues, whose first status is To Do, shared with other workflows and currently appearing in the second (To Do) column.  In fact, for a while in Production, only the "Story" issues with the shared first status will be created, because it will be a while before I can build the new workflow in Production.

I'd like to find a solution for automatically moving "Story" issues, with shared first status "To Do", to the first sprint board column.  I suppose I could simply replace the "To Do" column, but that is needed for non-Development issues.

I guess the obvious solution is to create another interim Dev Story workflow for Production, until the Sandbox Dev Story workflow is painfully created from scratch in Production.  The interim workflow would differ only from the Story workflow in that the first status would be unique (perhaps "Dev To Do").

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Hi @Phil Bustin

I think my approach here would be to change the workflow for the old "Story" issues to the new workflow, while migrating the "To Do" status to your new status corresponding to the first column of your board.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2023

That's what I described as having done in the Sandbox, but the decision-makers want to stick with the old workflow in Production while the new one is being built.

I figure if I copy the old workflow and just replace the shared first status ("To Do") with say "Dev to Do"), as I described, I've solved the problem.  I just wondered if there were another way.

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

@Phil Bustin Me personally, I don't know of a better way than this.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2023

Thanks.  I could get cute and call the new status "To Do" or To  Do" (double space) so as not to offend anyone. :-)

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

Can I sort a column by Priority or a custom field?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

I tried changing Order by Rank ASC to Order by Priority DESC, but there's no S.ave--only Discard changes.  What is Rank, anyway?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

I added a status to the story workflow, that would enable the issue to populate the new sprint board first column.  However, I'm struggling to add an action to transition the new issue to the new status, either to the automation that clones the new Jira software issue from the JSM issue, or to a new automation triggered by the creation of the new issue.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

I'm going to post this as a new question, because there's an urgency to finding a solution.

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

Rank is a field that implements a relative ranking between tickets by dragging them up or down in a backlog or on a board. You can't edit the rank field to type in a rank value, but drag and drop lets you order the tickets, and then the convention is that the team pulls their next work item from the top of the ranked backlog.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

Thanks; that's helpful.  If anyone's interested, the new question I just posted is in:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/In-an-automation-how-can-I-transition-a-Jira-software-issue/qaq-p/2358548

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

@Phil Bustin In case you're still looking for an answer to this:

> I tried changing Order by Rank ASC to Order by Priority DESC, but there's no S.ave--only Discard changes.  What is Rank, anyway?

Generally, this is the correct way to sort a column by priority. Can you share a screenshot of your filter?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

It turns out I can only Save As when I sort Descending by Rank.  I guess I have to then swap boards in the project.  How is that done?

When I edit to "Order by Priority DESC", I don't even get a Save As, so I figure I can't have that setting.

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

@Phil Bustin I assume you are in a company-managed software project, right? If you go to the board settings > "Edit Filter Query", you should be able to enter the query and click "Search". After doing this, the "Save" button should appear like this:

_Filter_for_TEST3_board__Issue_navigator_-_Jira.png

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

Thank you.  Search was the missing action, but I still only have Save As.  I found the saved as sprint board in Search but the view is still the edit filter view, and I don't know how to bring up the edited board.

Also, if I succeed in viewing the edited and saved board, is there a way to replace the default sprint board with the new one?

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

Hey Phil, "Save As" instead of "Save" indicates that you don't own or have edit permissions to that filter. If you "Save As" a new filter under a new name, and you have admin permissions to the board (I know this works on company managed projects - I can't vouch for team-managed), then you should be able to replace the existing board filter with your new filter:

1. click on the ..., at the top right of the board
  2. click on Board Settings
  3. click on the General tab
  4. mouse over the filter name until the edit pencil comes up
  5. type in the name of your new filter

HTH,

Kel

2023-05-12_21h43_17.png2023-05-12_21h44_14.png

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2023

Thanks; that worked.  I realized after I posted that what I was looking at after clicking Edit Query was the Query, not the sprint board.

After I replaced the filter, I need to put back the original, but I found that even if I entered the first two words of the filter name in the search box, the search did not provide all the filters containing those two words.  I had to search in Filters, not the search within the board, to find it.  Then I copied and pasted the name in the board search box to select the original filter .

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Suggest an answer