In an automation, how can I transition a Jira software issue (story) cloned from a JSM issue?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2023

In the Sandbox:

I'm trying to fulfill a somewhat odd request to populate a newly created column in a sprint board with only issues cloned in an automation from a JSM issue to a Jira software issue.

(An alternative might be to assign a unique priority to the created issue in the clone automation, or create a single selection field and in the clone automation, select a value for it, and sort the sprint board by Priority or by the new field.  I haven't succeeded in sorting the Sprint board by Priority.  When I click the sort arrow, thereby changing Order by Rank ASC to Order by Rank DESC, the To Do column is still sorted by issue key Ascending.)

So back to the new column: I created a new Status in the Jira software workflow used by the created issue cloned from the JSM issue, but I'm struggling to figure out a way to use a branch or other technique in the clone automation to transition the created issue to new new Status, that would populate the new sprint board column.  Can you help with that, please?

It appears I was able just now to use a new automation to accomplish the task.  Please stand by.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

Hello @Phil Bustin 

It's possible to show your current rule ?

Alternatively, perhaps you can try filling in the sprint field in your first automation rule, wait for Jira to create the new ticket correctly and then perform the status transition?

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 15.56.21.png

If I misunderstood your need, let me know.

For your second rule, you can identify some of the same fields (summary, description, reporter, etc.) between your two tickets or maybe if you have the link in "Linked Questions", you can retrieve it through this field.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2023

The clone automation already sets the sprint.  When I changed the new automation that's triggered by issue creation from All projects to 3 selected projects, it doesn't execute.  When it was global, the issue that triggered it was the "parent" issue (the issue that cloned the new issue).  How can I either insert an action to transition the new (cloned) issue, or get the new automation to detect only the new (cloned) issue?

Clone automation

clone automation 5-12-23.jpg

New automation

new automation log.jpg

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

Did you check the box "Allow the rule to be triggered" in the rule details?

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.05.03.png

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

Actually, I thought there ought to be an action to trigger a rule from a rule, but I didn't see any.  I'll try this.

Since {{createdissue}} works in an email action in the clone automation, shouldn't it be possible for me to transition the new issue right from the clone automation by referencing the created (cloned) issue?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

I've checked the "allow rule" option.  Do I need to specify the clone rule someplace in the created issue rule?  Add something to the clone rule?

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

It's not necessary to specify the clone rule. If the trigger is triggered by the previous rule, it's ok

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

After I checked the allow rule option, the new automation worked, after I also removed  a field condition, because adding a field copy action to the create transition in the new issue didn't work.  Perhaps I don't need to check that field, but I think I can set the value of the field in the cloned issue right in the clone action of the automation.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

How is the new trigger triggered by the previous rule?  I didn't create any such action (couldn't find any action to trigger another rule) in the clone rule, but it worked anyway.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

I haven't been able to see a field in the cloned issue automation, in a log action.  A field value condition in the clone automation tests the value of that field. 

I haven't been able to copy the field in the cloned issue create transition, and I haven't been able to set the field's value in the clone automation. 

I'll also post a new question for this problem.

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

If your rule is not able to copy a field it's maybe because the field is not available on the create screen (settings -> issues -> screens) :)

Else you can try to add a component "Edit issue" in your rule and to set this field in this component

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

Thanks.  What is the difference between using Edit issue and setting the field in the clone issue action, as I'm already doing?

I misunderstood your suggestion about the create screen.  The project has a create screen.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

As I anticipated, the Edit issue had the same result as the set field component of the clone issue action.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

I had in fact added the field to the target issue create screen.  It didn't help.  I think I must be trying to configure the wrong creates screen.  I'll try again.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

I worked very hard to identify the default screen for the workflow (if I said that right), and added the field to the default screen (there was no separate create screen).  That removed the error for the 'set field' component of the clone issue action, and sure enough, the field had the new value in the target issue.  The separate edit issue action that set the field had the same error as before, but I'll take that out.

Because the first automation was successful, the second automation was also successful.  Problem solved.

Like JM Perrot likes this

Suggest an answer