Can I delete tasks with attachment to free up storage space

Patrick Tan May 25, 2020

I am using the free tier and storage limit is 2 GB. When I hit the limit, can I delete task/story with big files to free up space?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2020

If you delete an issue, its attachments are killed off too, so yes, you will free up space.

I'd recommend not deleting the issues though, as they're gone for good.  I'd recommend only deleting the attachment, and leaving a comment like "attachment x deleted to recover space", so you keep the history of the issue.

MARC BEUDET June 7, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , I ended up entirely deleting 80% of my tickets in Jira, but I still get the warning email about running out of storage space. Is it possible that the email is sent in error?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2022

Yes it could be an error.  It is more likely to be a caching problem though - I've had a couple of cases where people killed off a pile of projects on a Wednesday, got the email again the following Monday.  But they didn't do anything about it, and the following Monday, no email.  That suggested Atlassian are looking at disk usage every Tuesday and sending the reminders a week later. (Don't quote me on the days or that is what is happening, I don't know, just that the emails didn't stop instantly).

I'd give it a bit of time to catch up with your work and stop bothering you, but if you give it a couple of days from now and still get another one, then

if you're on a supported tier, I'd raise it with Atlassian as a support request.

If not, then reply here again, and I'll see if I can get Atlassian to look into it for you. (and chase up the request for "on free/starter accounts, a report listing the issues or projects chewing up all my space")

MARC BEUDET June 7, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thanks for your fast response!

I've received these emails 3 to 4 times since I deleted all my data. I'm still on the free tier. It'd be awesome if you could get Atlassian to take a look! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events