Can I change the Epic issue layout in a project using components

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

I haven't been able to figure out how to change the Epic Issue layout to be different based on components if it's possible. I thought I read and knew how to change issue views based on screen schemes but for the life of me, I can't find the right information.

I would really like to change the issue layout (field configuration, field configuration scheme?) based on components so that the Epics look different depending on what they are supposed to do.

1 answer

2 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

The short answer is that you cannot do that. The field configuration just defines if fields should be shown or not and if they are required. The scheme only associate the configuration with issue types. In order to have a dynamic screen that changes based on what the user pick you would need an app like ProForma.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2021

This is basically true for screen configurations (layouts). You can do this per issue type but not per component. So you can make Epics have different fields in a different order when you edit the issue.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

Rats! OK, I was remembering it differently. I had done what you are suggesting in a different project where I was using components to segregate issues and have different layouts.

So, can you have more than one Epic issue type, i.e. two different names for Epics? I think I thought of that at one point but decided it wasn't possible.

Ok, further update to my question/solution idea. It looks like an Epic is a Standard Issue Type. If I create a new issue type is there a way to make it behave as an Epic would? I would like to have my "new" Epic issue have the ability to have child issues.

Well, I just went down that path only to find out it isn't possible. Grrrr!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events