Bulk releasing of fix versions by Jira automations

Raju Mandapaka October 12, 2021

Team,

Can any one suggest me how to set up an automation for Bulk releasing of fix versions in jira cloud??

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2021

Hi @Raju Mandapaka 

What problem are you trying to solve by doing this?  Knowing that may provide the community context to offer suggestions.  Thanks!

Until we know that info...

How do you know what versions you want to release?  If you are able to specify them by name, you could try to use advanced branching with a created variable (as a list) to iterate over the versions to release them.

Kind regards,
Bill

Raju Mandapaka October 12, 2021

@Bill Sheboy 

Let me add some context, we are having n number of fix versions in each project which are to be released (if the release date is elapsed) and we want to repeat/automate this process for every 2 months.

can you please let me know how to list all fix versions in advance branching option.

Thanks,

Raju

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2021

First thing, I am suggesting an approach I have not tried with versions...although I expect it will work.

There is no JQL to access data without issues (i.e versions), so another way would be to call the REST API from the automation rule to gather all of the version for the project and use that list: https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/1000.824.0/#api/2/project-getProjectVersions

Then you could use text and list functions to parse the response into a created variable:

Once you have the values as a delimited list (such as CSV), you can use them with an advanced branch: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Branching-over-smart-values-in-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1741935

Please note:  The above steps should work for any version naming convention.  If you have a standard naming pattern for versions that you can predict (e.g. associated to date) you could do this more simply by building the names without calling the REST API.

Like Carol Lage likes this
Greg Bowe July 1, 2022

Appfire's Bob Swift Atlassian Command Line Interface. It can do just about everything you can imagine.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer