Backbone Issue Sync - is there a limit for the number of syncs per project

Dimitar Dimitrov April 18, 2019

I have a question around Backbone Sync. We have configured a single Jira Service Desk project, let's call it side A, and in A we have configured over 50 separate Issue Synchronizations to projects from another JIra instance (say, B). We will probably need to configure over 100 issue syncs on that single A project. Is there a known or any limitation in the number of project syncs we can do for a single project? If so, please share every detail you have on that with us as we are planning to use this setup for a large production release. I am asking because we did hit for some projects a weird error saying 'Synchronization with key XYZ-012 already exists.' Thanks in advance!

3 answers

2 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

Hi @Dimitar Dimitrov,

thank you for question - I'm part of the team behind Backbone Issue Sync.

We don't have a limit how many synchronizations you can configure - this is up to you. We often recommend users if the number of their synchronizations increases, that they increase the interval when Backbone checks for changes as well, see sync.outgoingInterval in our docs.

I know that there are some customers running 50+ synchronizations, but I don't know how active they are in the community here. I'd be highly interested in tips from other customers as well.

Regarding your problem 'Synchronization with key XYZ-012 already exists' - we need to investigate further and we'll do so in the support ticket you created. If anyone else has this error, please let us know via support@k15t.com and we'll make sure to get that sorted.

Cheers,
Matthias.

0 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 19, 2019

Hi Dimitar,

(I'm with the team behind Exalate)

Exalate is an issue synchronisation solution where the mapping is defined through groovy scripts. 

For your use case you only need to define 1 connection.  In the create processor you can build the logic to map the incoming issue to the appropriate project.

For instance, one of our customers had a very simple mapping between the source projects and the target projects where the target projectkey is the source project key + a prefix.

The way you specify it in your create processor is then
issue.projectKey = "SAND" + replica.projectKey

Very simple and straightforward - we call Exalate the most flexible issue synchronisation solution, as it allows you to implement almost any synchronisation case.
Still - we understand that getting up to speed with the provided api's requires some learning.  We therefor offer you a 2 hours workshop, complimentary to your evaluation - to implement together with one of our experts, your first synchronisation.

If you want to know more - you're welcome to book a meeting here.

Francis

Dimitar Dimitrov April 22, 2019

Francis, thank you for the reply, however we are already using Backbone, so I was looking more for an answer to my specific question on Backbone rather than other vendor solutions. Good to know of course, but still my question remains.

Like francis likes this
0 votes
Dimitar Dimitrov April 19, 2019

Noone using Backbone at scale?:)

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 19, 2019

Suggest an answer