Automation or filter subscription for re-opening epics

Jerri Chiu August 12, 2022

Hi Community,

We want to catch the offenders when a "Done" epic is re-opened, either by automation via sending an email to a DL, or a summarized list on a weekly basis via filter subscription (scheduled weekly). I think my current automation rule isn't correct. I am triggering on issue status transition, and then checking if it's an epic type with Done status and resolutiondate < startOfDay(-1). There is multiple issues with this design, I think, it triggers on every single issue transition (hence expensive), and the IF condition is checked after the transition, which I think it's incorrect. I want to catch anything that changed a Done to something else, like In Progress. How should I correct the IF condition? And the trigger if needed?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

For the Automation solution, you're making it too complicated. It is much simpler than that. Let's start with your Trigger. It should specify that the transition is From the "done" statuses (whatever those are for your project. That will stop the rule from being triggered on every status transition.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 8.49.56 AM.png

Next you need to check if the transition was for an Epic type of issue.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 8.52.19 AM.png

Then add a Send Mail action (or other type of notification action if you wish) to send your chosen people an email.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 8.53.53 AM.png

You can also solve this with a Saved Filter and Filter Subscription.

There is an operator called CHANGED that you can use to check if the Status was changed from "done" to something else during a time period. You can find documentation on that operator here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-operators/#Advancedsearchingoperatorsreference-CHANGEDCHANGED

So, you could set up a Saved filter something like

project in (X, Y, Z) and issueType=Epic and Status CHANGED FROM "Done" after startOfDay(-7d)

And then set a subscription to run that report every seven days. 

Jerri Chiu August 12, 2022

hi Trudy!

That is a much simpler way to implement the automation! thank you! I'll note down the JQL for the filter too if we decide to do that approach (weekly email). Thank you so much!!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events