Automation of Timeline planing

cDemmerle March 28, 2024

Hello everyone!

I have a question about timeline planning. I've read a bit about automating the timeline with Jira Automation. The goal would be to replace MS Project with it, but for that, when I adjust a due date, Jira would have to automatically align the associated planning because otherwise the team members have to do it manually and that's not what they want ;-) 

Does anyone have any good experience or advice for this?

Have a great weekend! 

Christoph

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2024

Hello @cDemmerle 

What do you want to be "automatically aligned" when you update a due date, exactly? Are you talking about change the dates on dependent work? Are you talking about ensuring that dates for higher level groupings (i.e the dates of an Epic when changing due dates of child issues) are updated?

It is possible to adjust dates on dependent tasks, however this is usually done through an Automation rule that ends up calling itself as it traverses a chain of dependencies, and automation rules are limited to calling themselves no more than 10 times. So if you had a chain of dependencies through more than 10 issues, the Automation rule would not be able to handle that.

And are you talking about using the basic Timeline available in the Standard Jira Software subscription, or the Advanced Roadmaps Plans available in the Premium Jira Software subscription?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events