Automation for adding issues to an epic at issue creation screen

Elif Alverson May 24, 2023

Hello, 

I am trying to create an automation for an epic to have multiple tasks and subtasks at the issue creation screen. I cannot add the tasks to the epic for a reason. Here is my automation, what am I missing? Please help.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 7.27.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 7.26.41 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hello @Elif Alverson 

If you need to create subtasks under only one of the child issues this rule will work.

First, in addition to your condition to check the country, add a condition after the trigger to check that the trigger issue is an Epic. You don't want the rule to run when issue other than Epics are created.

Next add a step to create a variable to save the issue key of the Epic that triggered the rule.

After that add the steps to create the child issues. Create all the child issues except the one under which you want to add subtasks.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 4.41.37 PM.png

In each step where you create a child issue you need to link it to the parent Epic that triggered the rule.

For issues in Company Managed project you do this by setting the Epic Link field to the value you saved in your Variable earlier.

(If you are working with issues in a Team Managed project let me know and I will post the instructions for linking the child issue to the Epic for that type of project.)

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 4.42.19 PM.png

After adding steps to create all the other child issues, add a step to create the child issue that needs subtasks.

Follow that with a Branch for "Most recently created issue". In that branch add the step for creating subtasks. They will be created under the most recently created issue - the last child issue the rule created.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 4.44.29 PM.png

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi Elif,

Your automation should work and the issues should be getting created. However, if they are not linked to the Epic, then put this code in the Epic Link field when creating the Task:

{{triggerIssue.key}}

That will link the Task to the Epic. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events