Automation copy from parent not working

Evan July 6, 2020

Hi

I am trying to implement a simple automation rule and I can't figure out why it's not working. 

My goal it to set this up so that if you just create a subtask it will by default apply the same tags, due date, assignee, etc, as the parent issue (either an epic, or regular issue).

I thought this was very straight-forward and just set up the following:

When: Issue Created 

Then: Edit fields –> 

–> and for each field I have selected, "copy from parent"

What could I be doing wrong?

Edit: additional information.

Here is a screenshot of the automation rule that I created. If I look at the rule audit, it says that it executes successfully but, "Can't find issue to copy from"

Screenshot 2020-07-06 12.29.15.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2020

Hi Evan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share a screenshot of your rule? And the error you get?

Evan July 6, 2020

Thanks! I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm excited to get going!

Here is a screenshot of the automation rule that I created. If I look at the rule audit, it says that it executes successfully but, "Can't find issue to copy from"

I feel like this should be simple compared to everything else Jira is capable of, so it's making me feel silly that I'm struggling. 

Screenshot 2020-07-06 12.29.15.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2020

Hi, @Evan   -- Did any of the fields copy from the parent? 

Also, please consider adding a condition after the trigger to ensure that the issue type is a sub-task.  Otherwise, other issue creates will attempt to process this rule's copy fields.

Hi, @John Funk  -- This is the second post today I have seen for automation rules using the multi-field edit syntax, and the values do not copy from the parent.  The other one did not copy an epic's fields to a child story.

Best regard,

Bill

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2020

Hi @Evan ,

The advice that Bill gave you is correct. I would have a guess that the issue that failed your rule wasn't a sub task and so we couldn't find the parent issue because there wasn't one. The best thing to do here is to add an issue condition that checks it is a sub task before trying to edit. 

Like so:

issuecondition.png

Cheers,

Simeon.

Like Mark de Bont likes this
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2020

Hey @Bill Sheboy ,

With the other one that you saw, was it also issue created? If so, they might need to add a refetch action to the rule. Occasionally we can get an issue from Jira that was created but the epic has yet to be set on it and a refetch can often sort that out.

Cheers,

Simeon.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2020

Hi @Simmo 

Yes, it was also a create issue trigger.  That was my thought as well: timing condition.  I suggested adding a condition check for issue type, as above, and adding tracing statements (debug or comments) to confirm the source data availability.

If that doesn't work out I will suggest the refetch next.

Thanks for the help!

Evan July 6, 2020

Thanks so much everyone for all the suggestions and help!

@Simmo Thanks for the tip! I will definitely add this as a condition. (It seems like I am just scratching the surface of all the automation features). 

@Simmo @Bill Sheboy The refetch seems to be doing the trick! It must be a timing issue of some kind.

I appreciate all the assistance, looking forward to learning more!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Evan July 6, 2020

To answer the question above: without the refetch, none of the fields are copied. Once I added the refetch, it all seems to transfer to the new issue.

Like John Funk likes this
fabila June 30, 2021

I'm facing the same issue even with the re-fetch, the re-fetch is at the end of my automation, should it go somewhere specifically?

Simmo
Atlassian Team
June 30, 2021

Hi @fabila ,

Yep, it should. Think of it as a "refresh". Put it before the action that is having the issue so it can refresh it. At the end of the rule nothing else comes after it so isn't getting the benefit of the refresh.

Like John Funk likes this
Christian Völker June 7, 2023

Hi, im facing the same issue and nothing helps. I already included now that it checks if the Parent Link is existing, but still I get the the information can´t find issue to copy from. See picture below:image.png

Do you have any idea what i can do that it works?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2023

Hi Christian,

Please create a new question. That way more people can see it and provide an answer. And the responses can be tailored to your need. Feel free to tag me on the new question if you like. 

Like Christian Völker likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events