Automation copy from parent issue does not work

Christian Völker June 7, 2023

Hi,

I´m trying to automate that 3 costum fields get filled automatically, when a new issue is created and the parent link is know. Everything what I tried doesn´t work it always result in the information "Can´t find issue to copy".  Even my parent if cause brings the result that the parent link is there. See picture below
image.png

2 answers

0 votes
Andras Margitics December 2, 2023

Hi, would it be the problem, that the rule has no access (scope) to the parent issue?

If this is a Project rule and the parent issue is in another project, I guess, JIRA cannot "clone" the FixVersion value from it... so the rule should be set as Global rule.

You need to make the rule multi-project or global.
But this is just a guess.

0 votes
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2023

Hi @Christian Völker , 

Click on the edit issue fields>>then after adding the fields>>click on three dots>>select copy data from parent issue. 

@Manoj Gangwar 
I did this already. See picture below
image.png
So there needs to be another reason. Hope anybody could help me.

Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2023

Can you try to use the Branch rule/related issue > Stories(other issues in epic) ? 

Like Christian Völker likes this

do you mean like this? Or should i put it somewhere else?

image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2023

Hi @Christian Völker  - Can you share the details of the Edit issue fields action? 

Also, you need to move those bottom 4 objects under the Branch - right now they are at the same level. 

Christian Völker June 8, 2023

Hi @John Funk

see the issue field action
image.png

As well if have adjusted the branch now:
image.png

But still it doesn´t work

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2023

Sorry - I missed that above. But if you move those 4 items under the branch, that should fix it for you. 

See above. Still it doesn´t work :( 

This is the message I see in the audit
image.png

image.png

@John Funk 
Maybe i want to copy that information not from an Epic. I want to copy it from an Initiative to an Epic. Maybe this helps for providing me the correct hint :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2023

So what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Christian Völker June 12, 2023

@John Funk 
I want to copy information from 3 fields of the parent issues when parent Link is set. So that the information don´t need to be filled manually into the created Epic.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2023

You wouldn't use Parent Link - that is for the parents of Epics. 

But I can see the parent Link field in the parent issue

image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2023

What is the issue type for IT-1362? And what is the issue type that has that value for that field? 

The issue type of IT-1362 we name individual Demand it is a standard type. And the issue type where the value for that field is Epic. Our project hierachy is Demand-->Epic-->Story-->Sub-Task
image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2023

Okay, but it looks like you are missing apples and oranges to me. Parent Link would be used on an Epic to show the Demand parent for the Epic. 

Epic Link would be used on a Story to show the Epic parent. You can't use a single rule to get both of those for a single issue. 

@John Funk 
I´m now confused. :( I never want to use the Epic Link and I don´t need it.
What I want is that 3 fields of a created epic will be filled automatically when the parent Link in the Epic is set. 
And this is with the mentioned automation not working, because I always receive the information "Can´t find issue to copy" even, when the check for parent link passed. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2023

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I am missing something or making it too simple, but what about something like below?

Screenshot.png

Suggest an answer