Automation - Program and move an issue

Manel March 7, 2024

Hello everyone,

I am prety sure it was already answered before, but I have been searching in several posts and I couldn't solve my problem.

I am trying to use an automation rule to create an issue every thursday and move it to an specific column of the kanban.

If I just set the rule to create the issue, it works perfectly, but it creates the issue on the backlog and I want it in a column of my board:

1.png

So I decided to add another action to move the issue from the backlog to my desired column, but when I add the 'And' action to move the issue appears a problem:

2.png

Some related posts talks about the rule actor (which I put as myself), the transitions in the workflow, permisions, etc.

I have tried to fix it in different ways, but I can't find how to solve it.

It should be so easy to do, no? I am probably doing a very basic mistake but I don't know how resolve it by myself...

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2024

Hi @Manel 

You appear to be using a Team-managed project, and unlike Company-managed boards, transitioning the issue will not move it to the board.  An extra step is needed (manually or in a rule)...

For a rule, you may use the specific rule action for Move Issue to Board.

Kind regards,
Bill

Manel March 8, 2024

I didn't know about this action, and it what I was what i needed. It finally worked!

I leave the automation rule here in case someone consults this post in the future (it's in spanish but it maybe helps anyways):

Captura de pantalla 2024-03-08 102258.png

Thank You!!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

Hi @Manel 

Welcome to the community.

Please take a look at this existing thread: 

Issue creation and transition Automation in one rule

Manel March 7, 2024

Hello and thanks a lot for the welcome!

I've been trying this solution, the error message disapears, and it creates the issue and changes its status, which is great.

But the issue stills at backlog, it doesn't move automatically to the Kanban Board, which is what I'm looking for. I don't know if I missunderstood something of the post...

Captura de pantalla 2024-03-07 160728.png

Should I ask it in that thread? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the attention.

Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

You said that issues status changes. So, what is the status after automation rule runs?

Go to Board Settings -> Columns and check which status is mapped to Backlog column? 

Manel March 8, 2024

I finally solved it using the 'Move to Board' action as Bill recomended in the other comment, but anyways I'm really interested to keep expanding my knowledge.
So, are you refering to the Workflow? I feel it is a core part, but I don't know how to aboard it.

I'm quite newbie using Jira and its a really extense software, so I couldn't investigate this part yet.

Would you recommend me some guide/information site where I can start learning about it?

Thank you!!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events