Issue creation and transition Automation in one rule

Sona Evanesyan January 31, 2022

HI community , 

I have an issue creating an automation . 

I need to create a scheduled issue ( every day ) with a specific summary in the specific project, and transition that newly created issues to " To do" status .

When applying the transition , I get this error:

Error

• The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. You need to use the option to run JQL to provide issues. The following components require issues: Transition issue 

Thanks in advance 
    Sona E

3 answers

2 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Helene Dryden November 17, 2022

Hey all, 
I was able to accomplish a similar automation by branching off of 'all created issues':

jira_automation_transition_status.jpg

jira_automation_branch_rule.jpg

Brent Nye February 24, 2023

MUCH better solution. Thanks!

Like Thomas Shin likes this
Carrie December 15, 2023

I've been wracking my brain for weeks - a colleague pointed me to this solution and I had it up and running in minutes... THANK YOU!!

David Helfrich April 18, 2024

OMG thank you!  I was going crazy on this.  I kept trying to use "current issue" my brain thinking the one you JUST created is "current"... 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matt C_ Wilson February 4, 2022

Sona,

The other commenters are pointing out that the "Transition Issue" component needs to run within a section that refers to one or more issues.

Even though the "Create Issue" component ran right before it, your "Transition Issue" isn't nested in a branch or section of that component.  Instead it's running under the Schedule trigger itself, which doesn't mention any specific issue.

So, you have to use the Branch Rule / Related Issues component, and write some JQL that goes and fetches the ticket you just created.  Then you can put the "Transition Issue" component in the sub-components section of that branch.

Here's an example of my own, yours will look something like this (although the JQL will need to change).  Notice I'm trying to match on the summary text, and also looking at tickets created since yesterday.

Image 2022-02-04 20-30-25.png

Sona Evanesyan February 7, 2022

Thank you so much for the answer . Will give it a try , though already sure it is what I looked for .

Regards

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2022

Hi Sona,

Can you share your complete rule? 

Sona Evanesyan January 31, 2022

Screenshot 2022-01-31 215224.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2022

So you need to add a JQL statement so it knows when issues to use. 

So which cards if they exist in the scheduled trigger will cause cards to get created. You need to have a condition more or less. 

Like Devin Palomo likes this
Sona Evanesyan February 1, 2022

Dear John,

In the scheduled trigger the action is to create an issue every day at 9 am in the specific project with the same summary. So there is no card till that , and I need an action to move this newly created card from backlog to -to do. So what jql do I need to write If there is no predefined card ?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2022

When you are creating the card, are you populating the Component field? It needs certain values in that field fo do the Transition. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events