Automation Option to Create Rule not there

Sandy Xiong September 2, 2022

Hello,

Im attempting to create an automated rule to have the Story automatically move to in progress once sub task move to in progress. However, i was having trouble locating the "Create Rule" option. 

Am i missing an Add-On as i currently dont see this option. 

Capture.JPG

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2022

Hi Sandy,

This looks like it might be some built-in automation. Did you click on the Add new automation rule button? 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Hello @Sandy Xiong 

Welcome to the community.

What documentation are you referencing that tells you that you should see a "Create Rule" option?

You post indicates you are working with Jira Server. Can you confirm you are working with Jira Server vs. Jira Data Center or Jira Cloud? Also, what version of Jira are you using?

Jira v8.22.4

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Version: Atlassian Jira Project Management Software (v8.22.4)

Link: Create Rule 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2022

Thank you.

Can you find out what version of Automation for Jira you have installed? You may need to ask your Jira Administrators for that information.

How did you get to the screen shown in the image?

Sandy Xiong September 6, 2022

@Trudy Claspill the screenshot is located in Project Setting->Automation

The automation will be on the same version as Jira we have now which is v8.22.4. Can you let me know which version of Jira will allow us to "Create Rule"? Sounds like we will need to do an upgrade to that version to see this feature. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2022

According to this documentation, which is for v8.0, the "Create Rule" option should be present in all 8.x versions of Automation for Jira.

The screen that you have shown looks to me like it comes from a different third party application, as it matches a screen shown on the Atlassian Marketplace page for this other app called Repeating Issues.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213072/repeating-issues?tab=overview&hosting=server

This makes me wonder if you do not actually have the Automation for Jira application installed.

The functionality is native to Jira Data Center according to this page, but not native to Jira Server.  Are you using Jira Data Center or Jira Server?

Suggest an answer