Automation - Issue Created does not trigger when creating Stories from Epic

Andrei Tuch December 2, 2020

Hi,

I've run into a weird problem with Automation. I'm trying to set a rule where, when a new Task, Sub-task or Story are created, the parent Epic's Assignee is automatically copied to a custom field (user picker type) in the newly created issue.

It works if we use the Create button, but not if we have the epic view open and create the Story from the list of associated issues in there.

Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Hi Andrei - Is this a Next-gen Project? There are known issues for Automation For Jira for Epics for Next-gen projects - it currently is not able to use the Epics to do updates. 

Andrei Tuch December 2, 2020

Hi John - nope, it's a classic Software project...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Good - that's a start.  :-)

Can you share the automation rule that you have and where it is going wrong? Maybe also share the audit log when it fails? 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Hi guys,

This could be a timing issue with the Issue Created event getting raised before all the data (e.g. Epic Link) is available for reading.

If the audit log seems to indicate no parent, consider adding a Re-fetch action immediately after the trigger to re-load prior to accessing the parent.  This will slow the rule a bit, but it will ensure the data is available.

Best regards,

Bill

Andrei Tuch December 9, 2020

Hi all,

Yeah, I think Bill probably got it. I ended up playing around with the rules a bunch and at some point it all started working. :)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events