Automation Feature

Enmanuelor Ortiz Lopez February 20, 2024

can I create an automation for putting a Epic in progress once any task within an Epic is moved into progress status?

sometimes the Epic is in backlog, but some tasks are starting to get some traction and move work to in progress but the Epic remains in backlog until I go to check. 

Thanks!

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2024

Here is a rule that I created that does just that. 2024-02-20 11_26_36-Settings - Jira.png

Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2024

I am assuming that this solution is for Cloud. The original poster had the data-center tags, so I assumed that they were using Data Center so, if they are using Cloud, then my answer is not appropriate.

Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2024

And if they are using Data Center, then my answer is not appropriate. However, I am assuming they would be using Cloud now since Data Center no longer is being supported as of 02/15/24. 

Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2024

Server is no longer being supported as of 02/15/24. As of now, there is no EOL date for Data Center.

Enmanuelor Ortiz Lopez February 28, 2024

Thanks @Collista Lewingdon that worked marvelous. ⭐️⭐️

even I’m using Server Jira, that helped. 

thanks a los for your help!

regrads!

Like Collista Lewingdon likes this
0 votes
Enmanuelor Ortiz Lopez February 28, 2024

Thank you all for your answers… unfortunately I’m not able to use any plugin or install anything. 

so, @Collista Lewingdon solution worked perfectly for me. 

Regards!

0 votes
Teja_Appfire_ February 20, 2024

Hi @Enmanuelor Ortiz Lopez ,

To achieve your requirement using Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) app, follow these steps:
  1. Install Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE): If you haven’t already installed JMWE, you need to install it from the Atlassian Marketplace. You can find it here.
  2. Add Transition Issue Post-Function:
  • Go to your Jira project.
  • Navigate to Project settings > Workflows.
  • Edit the desired workflow that you want to modify.
  • Click on the transition where you want to add the post-function (e.g., “In Progress”).
  • Select the transition, then click Post Functions.
  • Click Add post function and choose JMWE: Transition issue from the list.
  1. Configure Transition Issue Post-Function:
  • In the Transition Issue configuration, you’ll find an option to select the Target Issue.
  • Select the appropriate target issue for the transition.
  • Ensure that this post-function is positioned after the “Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database” post-function. You can drag and drop the post-functions to reorder them.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.16.54 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.18.23 AM.png

By following these steps, you’ll be able to transition the issue and select the target issue as required

Thanks,
Teja
0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2024

Hello @Enmanuelor Ortiz Lopez 

Can you clarify if your Epics and tasks are in same project, even if not same project, you have scope to update Epic in different project

If above condition is met, see this thread comment by @Bill Sheboy.

If Epics are in different projects and you dont have scope to update, then it can be achieved but needs scriptrunner or equivalent to establish a rule where your Epics live, if no such add-on, you could use Rest API route.

Of course easiest is, all are in same project or you have scope.

Please review and let us know how your projects are set up and if questions.

0 votes
Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2024

There are a couple different ways of doing this, depending on which plugin(s) you have.

If you have JSU, there is a Linked Transition (JSU) post-function that you can put on your task workflow when it transitions into the appropriate status. If you have that plugin and aren't sure how to configure the post-function, I can post a screenshot of my configuration here.

If you don't have JSU but do have Scriptrunner, you could create a custom event on the Task workflow that can fire against the Task to cause it to execute a specific transition on its Epic. If you have that plugin, I can share the code for the listener.

Suggest an answer