How can I mark an epic as in progress if underlying user storie(s) are in progress

lisa February 11, 2021

Hey there,

trying to figure out how I can automate the status of initiatives & epics & user stories.

My question

How can I set it up so that if an underlying issue (e.g. subtasks to user stories or user stories to an epic) is set to in progress or that the parent follows with the status automatically?

Thank you so much!
Lisa

1 answer

1 vote
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2021

Hi @lisa Welcome to the Atlassian Jira Community. I hope you are doing good and staying safe.

I understand that, you would like to automate the work flows involving epic <-> story <-> tasks <-> subtasks.

I believe you must have explored the Jira automation from the software. Jira login >> Select the project>> on left side explorer you will find "Automation". You will be on the rules builder and can create an automation rule that involves issue type transitions:

"Trigger (WHEN)

Condition (IF)

Action (THEN).

I would request you to explore that steps and define the conditions as per your task. Save that automation rule and test. You can view the status of your rule in the automation audit logs. 

I believe to have addressed your query, if yes, kindly upvote and "accept answer" for the benefit of new members.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

Hi @lisa 

To add to @G subramanyam  suggestion, you may need multiple rules for this because the parent/child relationships are different for different issue types.

For example, the rule below works for starting an Epic into in-progress for any child Story or Bug issues:

Start Epic Progress.png

You would need a separate rule for story/sub-tasks and probably another for initiative/epics.

Best regards,

Bill

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders