Automatically create Slack Channel with new tickets

Mario Licup May 12, 2020

Hello!

I was hoping someone could help me figure out away to automate the creation of Slack channels when a new ticket is created.

We have a JIRA project that is used for high priority incidents and I want a Slack channel to be created when the ticket is created/opened. This way we as a company can keep discussion in one channel so those details can later be easily found for postmortem activites.

Currently we have the ticket that gets created automatically when ever a PagerDuty incident is triggered. From there we manually create the Slack channel and notify our teams to join that channel.

4 answers

0 votes
Jasper December 14, 2023
0 votes
salihzett December 13, 2021

also interested in this.
I thought it is possible to create slack channels with webhook and Jira automation.

Opsgenie is not possible for our use case.

Any other options, without using zapier.

0 votes
Nivi Mor October 27, 2021

Any updates on this? Was there any progress on this feature?

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2020

Hi Mario, welcome to the Community!

I definitely understand the use-case and the need to get a channel running as fast as possible per-incident. With the official Jira Cloud for Slack app, we don't have the functionality to create a channel (either automatically or manually at the moment) but we do have a feature request open with that suggestion.

Completely within the Atlassian stack, the OpsGenie integration with Slack can create a new channel per incident. I've seen teams do similar things with PagerDuty, although in my experience it's all been custom-code and I haven't seen something productized for easy deployment in other organizations. I'll have a look around though and be sure to update this answer if I see something that's easy to deploy with the toolset you're using!

Cheers,
Daniel

Mario Licup May 29, 2020

Hi Daniel, thanks for the reply. I had a feeling there was a limitation regarding the creation of slack channels. Our company is looking to utilize OpsGenie in the near future. Thanks.

Pillai_ Aarthi July 20, 2023

Hello @Daniel Eads 

How are you?

I have a similar requirement, if possible Could you share the custom code to achieve this with Pagerduty?

Brent Clark December 13, 2023

Please share :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events