Automatic copy of custom fields from an Epic to "issues" in the epic

jamila.augustine February 19, 2020

Hi,

What would be best approach to get an automatic update (copy) of custom fields from an epic to issues in the epic?

Currently, we have almost 10 Tasks per Epic and a lot of fields are common between these issuetypes.

Once an epic has been created, any time someone creates a Tasks and links it to an Epic, I would like to have all the custom fields from that Epic copied into the newly created Task.

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jamila.augustine April 26, 2020

Post function Copy Value from other Fields with Issue Relation: Epic to Issue in Transition does the trick.  I created the post function at create transition and made Epic link "required". 

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2020

You could use Automation for Jira, we currently rely on to similar things. When we create a task that is associated with an Epic it will automatically copy components and labels.

jamila.augustine February 20, 2020

Thanks @Mikael Sandberg : Automation Plug-in would have to be purchased, right? I was hoping to find solutions which are built-in..or maybe with ScriptRunner which we have.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2020

There is no built-in option, but yes you can do it with Scriptrunner, take a look at this thread, it has an example of how to do it, https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/ScriptRunner-copy-Epic-custom-field-to-every-Epic-child/qaq-p/1042331

simarpreet singh April 26, 2020

Hi @jamila.augustine - Yes it is possible through post function itself. Use Write field on linked issues or subtasks postfunction in your epic transition, and it will update the fields in child tickets.

jamila.augustine April 26, 2020

Hi @simarpreet singh : Yes, thanks. i had in meantime also figured it out..Post function Copy Vlaue from other Fields with Issue Relation: Epic to Issue in Transition does the trick.  I created the post function at create transition and made Epic link "required". 

Like Chasovskikh Kirill likes this
krzysztofzarebski July 9, 2021

Hi, where to find this option in Post Function? On my jira instance there is not such a thing like Write field on linked issues or subtasks

meenu_hooda October 12, 2023

Hi, I also do not find anything as "Write field on linked issues or subtasks" in my instance. Can anyone help in locating it?

Suggest an answer