Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automatic copy of custom fields from an Epic to "issues" in the epic

Hi,

What would be best approach to get an automatic update (copy) of custom fields from an epic to issues in the epic?

Currently, we have almost 10 Tasks per Epic and a lot of fields are common between these issuetypes.

Once an epic has been created, any time someone creates a Tasks and links it to an Epic, I would like to have all the custom fields from that Epic copied into the newly created Task.

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Post function Copy Value from other Fields with Issue Relation: Epic to Issue in Transition does the trick.  I created the post function at create transition and made Epic link "required". 

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Feb 19, 2020

You could use Automation for Jira, we currently rely on to similar things. When we create a task that is associated with an Epic it will automatically copy components and labels.

Thanks @Mikael Sandberg : Automation Plug-in would have to be purchased, right? I was hoping to find solutions which are built-in..or maybe with ScriptRunner which we have.

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Feb 20, 2020

There is no built-in option, but yes you can do it with Scriptrunner, take a look at this thread, it has an example of how to do it, https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/ScriptRunner-copy-Epic-custom-field-to-every-Epic-child/qaq-p/1042331

Hi @jamila.augustine - Yes it is possible through post function itself. Use Write field on linked issues or subtasks postfunction in your epic transition, and it will update the fields in child tickets.

Hi @simarpreet singh : Yes, thanks. i had in meantime also figured it out..Post function Copy Vlaue from other Fields with Issue Relation: Epic to Issue in Transition does the trick.  I created the post function at create transition and made Epic link "required". 

Hi, where to find this option in Post Function? On my jira instance there is not such a thing like Write field on linked issues or subtasks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

⏰ Day in the life of a Jira Admin!

Hello Community! We thoroughly enjoyed this just-for-fun conversation in the Jira Admin Group about what it's like to be a Jira Admin. For #JiraJuly, our talented designers created these graphics t...

758 views 2 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you