Auto-assign on issue creation in cloud?

Hanna_Mielczarek November 5, 2018

Hey Guys,

I tried all different kind of things to setup automatic assign on issue creation transition in my workflow.

Currently, I have the workflow setup to assign an issue to the particular user (a dispatcher, process controller who makes sure that issue description is essential enough and process participators are not wasting time on asking for information)

That user is not a project lead and we won't set it up like this. I set the user to be a component lead, but here I assume that the Reporter would have to set the component to make it work?

I am confused. We're on cloud. Can someone please advise if there is any way to make this work?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2018

Hi @Hanna_Mielczarek - Welcome to the Community! :)

Hmm..

Usually adding a post function to Create Issue transition works fine. If not you might be hitting a bug like this - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-33182

If that would be easier for you try not making it on a issue creation but add an additional step that would you your starting point in a workflow but all the logic would be triggered frrom this transition step. Make an move to the second status (might be automatic) and assign a ticket to defined person. Thanks to that you have more options to configure your workflow.

to make things really easier you can use Automation plugin - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215670/automation-lite-for-jira-cloud and this should help you set up a condition based on your requirements. LITE version of this app is free and available for cloud. More info here

https://docs.automationforjira.com/upgrade/lite-vs-pro.html

Thanks @Mirek a lot! I'll check it out this might be a very strong alternative to have an extra status in the workflow.
And as of plugin - we'll check it with second PM and management, it might be worth installing :)

Hanna_Mielczarek November 7, 2018

Thanks once again, Installed Automation Lite for Jira and it's amazing, I went crazy!

Like Mirek likes this
2 votes
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2018

Hi @Hanna_Mielczarek

You can automatically assign a person with the Post Function Update Issue Field on the Create Transition.

Click on the Transition that you want to have the post function set up, and it will pop up a box on the right with Options.  Click on the post function.

Simple work Flow_postfunction.PNG

Once in the Transition menus, Select Add post Function.

Transition Post function.PNGthere you can select the Update Issue Field and select Assignee as the field you want to update, and put in the person that you want to have set.  

Update Issue Field Assignee.PNGHope that explanation helps!  Happy Jiraing!

Thank you, Kimberly, this is very accurate and I believe it will help newbies to set it up! Super helpful!

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2018

Thanks @Hanna_Mielczarek

Sorry that it isn't working for you right now.  I didn't know about the bug @Mirek mentioned.

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2018

if you are trying to set it to the Component Lead then yes you need to set the component during the creation. Now if there is only one person that you will ever assign to and you don't want the customer to select the component then you could elect to simply set the assignee as a Post Function for the Create transition.

Thanks, Jack, I appreciate your time responding to my query!
So far I was configuring exactly as Kimberly showed below

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2018

and it didn't work?

yeah I don't know why! My colleague PM blames Cloud solution for that.

Suggest an answer