Assignment to a specific user on "Create Issue" transition via post function

Paul Zubkov March 19, 2020

Hi everyone.  

I am finalizing workflow setup for this project and this workflow involves some assignments to specific users at specific statuses.  Post functions on transitions work quite nice for this, the only exception is the very first "Create" transition.  Now, other post functions are executing without an issue, but assignment one is simply being ignored.  I had used assignment post function on other transactions, including to the same user as I am trying to set for this initial one and it works. 

I would like to do this without a third-party plugin if possible.  Any advice?

4 answers

2 votes
Angel Todorov September 15, 2022
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2020

Hi Paul,

You could set that up quite easily with Automation For Jira - and it's now free to use. 

Paul Zubkov March 20, 2020

Sure, I could do it via a plugin, and if there is no other option I will.  But in principle, post function to assign a user to the issue works as long as it is not the first transition, right?  Because to me, it seems that this is the case as I can do the same post function on transitions inside the workflow without any issues, but the first one fails.  Seems to me, its a bug, no?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2020

Sounds like a bug to me, yes. Do you have it as the very last transaction in the list of post functions?

And, not sure that I would really refer to Automation For Jira as a plug in now since it has been incorporated into the product. But maybe you still have to do the install.  :-)

I tried playing around with various positions of this particular post function within the list, it does not really affect anything.  Automation For Jira you mentioned before - do you have a link for it by chance?

Thanks

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2020
0 votes
Aditya Sastry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2020

If I understand correctly, the post-function on your create issue transition isn't working.

Reorder the post function i.e get the assignment post-function to execute at the end.

I had the same issue and reordering fixed it.

Thank you for your suggestion, tried moving it around and it does not really change anything.  I have several post functions on that transition.  One is the creation of a specific label and the other assignment to a specific user.  Basically label for PO that the issue is new and needs prioritization and assign it to him so he gets email and so on.  The label part is working fine, with no complaint, but the assignment does not.  No matter where I place the post function relative to others.  What I find interesting is this -  later on in the workflow, I am doing the same post function on assignment during another transition and it works.  The only difference is the first transition vs transition in the middle of a workflow.

Weird, right?

sukkeong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2022

If you have access to the audit logs, it might be handy observe the logs while repeating your issue creation; https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/auditing-in-jira-applications-818578846.html (found in different thread https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/how-to-check-the-JIRA-logs-in-JIRA-Cloud/qaq-p/827303)

0 votes
sukkeong
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2020

Check if the users performing the transitions have permission to 'assign' issues to others. Lack of this permission may result in the assignment failing.

Thank you for your suggestions, the user has permission to assign to others.  It fails even for admins.

Suggest an answer