Assignee can't be edited in edit mode

Jonas Schultens May 10, 2023

In one of our Jira projects no one is able to edit the assignee of an issue (except the current Assignee and the Reporter of the issue)

I know that there was something set up, that the ticket is not editable for people who are not assigned to the ticket or the reporter of the ticket. But this should not relate to the assignee field, but more for all other fields. 

Do you maybe know where I can change that? I've looked up the permission scheme, but there it should all be set in the right way. Any other ideas where I can have a look? 

Thanks 

2 answers

1 vote
Shay Gabizon May 10, 2023

Since this morning all of our users that doesn't have "Edit Permission" are unable to change assignee and Atlassian support is trying to convince me it was like that for a long time (not true).

this doesn't make any sense and isn't professional,

I have 70 team members on different teams and I don't wont to give them "Edit Permissions",

Jira was updated with something that created a BUG, so they should "roll-back" and fix it instead of telling us we're imaging this.  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

There is a post from another user who believes the same; that the Edit Issue permission did not used to be required for being able to just set Assignee.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Work-Management-Questions/User-with-permissions-still-cannot-assign-issue/qaq-p/2355067

Cassy Arretche May 10, 2023

Our users are also experiencing this.  The users with the project role: project member have "Assignable User" and "Assign Issues" permissions.
No, they did not have the "Edit Issue" permission as that was not intended for those processing the issues. 
The permission scheme in use was built over two years ago.
As of this morning they cannot assign issues. Added the project member role to the "Edit Issues" permission and now it works.

What changed and why?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

This sounds like the permissions for "assign user" are set to include only the Reporter and Assignee.  (Not the "can be assigned issues" permission, but the "can assign the issue to someone" permission)

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-10 um 16.21.10.png

at the moment I've got these settings, but somehow it feels like the permissions defined for "Edit Issues" overrule the "Assign Issue" permissions ... is this possible and if so how can I change that the "can assign the issue to someone" permission is possible for everyone? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

No, there's no overriding happening.  It is entirely down to the "can assign issues to others" permission.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events