Allow dependencies to other issues/tasks in the same and other Jira projects

lars March 6, 2024

Hello all,

I would like to use issue links (like task A is blocked by task B) in a Jira Software project.

Linking to issues in the same projects and ideally also other Jira projects (incl. Jira Service Management) should be possible.

I tried to follow https://community.atlassian.com/t5/App-Central/Jira-Issue-Links-and-dependencies-management/ba-p/2050756 but issue linking is already enabled in the settings.

2024-03-07_09-46.png

In other Jira projects we have it enabled and are actively using it already. I simply find no way to add this section to the layout of my tasks/issues in this project.

I suspect I need to add it in the Issue Layout section. But I find nothing that sounds right:

2024-03-07_09-51_Issue_Layout_1.png

2024-03-07_09-52_Issue_Layout_2.png

Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

Hi @lars,

You don't need to do much. Once you have created an issue, just hit the Link issue button at the top of your screen. Then, a section will appear on your issue view where you can add such links.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 09.01.27.pngOn an additional note: in company managed projects you need to have the link issues permission in order to do this. And when you want to link issues from other projects, that permission is required on every project involved.

Hope this helps! 

lars March 7, 2024

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout .

I checked the permissions and it seems allowed for all logged in users:

link_issues_permission.png

Furthermore, I noticed, I can add a relation when I create a new issue:

create_issue.png

So it seems my only problem is that this section (where I can link another issue) is somehow not visible when I edit existing issues:

edit_issue.png

Maybe this is just a layout problem?

lars March 7, 2024

I found it here:

image.png

Thanks again!

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

Yes indeed. Because you have some additional marketplace apps in your system, the buttons are collapsed. But it is the same thing 🤗

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events