All default dates when creating a new jira item are wrong

Mars Wang January 2, 2022

Today is 1/3/2022, and all new jira items showing below default date 2/18/1993. Is it the same as MS Exchange bug?

image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2022

Hi @Mars Wang 

Thanks for this report, I created a new bug based on this over in JRACLOUD-78106.  Just to note, as Piotr did, these displayed dates are not actual values that are being input to any issues in Jira, instead these are only an example of the format expected for that field.  And of course the date picker is still correctly defaulting to the current date.  But I can see why this would be confusing.

I believe this is a bug in the new issue view, as the old issue view never seemed to show these kinds of example formatting values at all for empty fields.  For creating issues, I have not yet found a workaround here, but I also noticed the same behavior in editing existing issues.  For those it is still possible to temporarily clicking through to the old issue view in order to avoid this problem for the time being.

Cheers,

Andy

Mars Wang January 3, 2022

Thanks Piotr and Andy's for your quick response!

0 votes
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2022

Hi @Mars Wang Welcome to Community

I believe it's not the default value but the sample value. If you click on the calendar icon the default will be today.

date.png

Piotr

Mars Wang January 3, 2022

Hi Piotr,

So this is a bug I suppose.

• The default here means "when I did not touch the datepicker box, the value automatically filled in".
  • Even in the datepicker it is showing the correct "today", it is common sense that the datepicker before expanded shall also show the same date.

Maybe my memory was wrong, but I didn't see this weird 1993 date before new year.

Thanks.

Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

If you don't touch the date picker box, this sample date value (2/18/1993) won't be put into this field. That's why this value is in grey.

I agree that it would be better if the sample value show the "today" date.

I don't remember if such behavior exists before the new year - maybe it was part of a new optimized create Jira issue experience - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/what-is-the-new-jira-issue-create-experience/ 

Suggest an answer