Adding filters to Kanban board

shknud January 20, 2018

Hi, 

As being brand new to this, I find it very hard to add simple filters, e.g. Milestone 1, Milestone 2, Milestone 3, etc. 

How can I add these filters and apply Milestone numbers to the issues, so it knows what do include? 

KR, 

Simon

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2018

@Mirre Snelting, if you are on cloud when you add a quick filter it will be added under the Quick filters heading. You cannot add a new top-level filter. It used to be they were all at the top level but this was changed a couple of years back I think. In server, assuming it hasn't changed in later release, all quick filters are at the top-level, i.e. no drop down.

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

Dear @shknud,

do following:

1. goto Administer Project
  2. click on Versions
  3. create for each milestone one version
  4. go back to the Kanban board
  5. configure the board
  6. click on Quick-Filters
  7. add per milestone one filter with this JQL: fixedVersion = "milestone x"
  8. you are done

This is fine, if you didn't use the version for its real purpose.

If you cannot take the version, ask an admin to create a custom field(select list) named "milestone" for you (assigned to one of your screens your project is using), with all your milestone names. The JQL then looks like this: milestone = "milestone x"

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2018

Dear @shknud

you didn't come back - could you solve your requirement meanwhile?

So long

Thomas

shknud February 2, 2018

Hi Thomas, 

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry about my the late response. 

What I am looking to do is adding each milestone as a button as a horizontal line at the top (see attached image): 

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 22.34.26.png

As you can see, right now I just have a drop down menu. 

Can I have buttons next to "Assignee" like "Milestone 1", "Milestone 2" etc., so that the kanban board will only show issues for the selected milestone? Can you confirm if your guide will give me this result?

KR,

Simon

Like ido shalit likes this
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2018

Dear @shknud,

sure you can do how you wrote it. But you need one criteria for the quick filter. Which field/custom field will you use for milestone?

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Dear @shknud,

you didn't come back to this question. Have you solved it meanwhile?

So long

Thomas

Mirre Snelting August 20, 2018

Hi @Thomas Deiler,

I have the same question. I want to add a filter next to quick filters and Assignee.

What do you mean with 'Which field/custom field will you use for milestone?'

Thanks in advance :)

Like ido shalit likes this
Vicki Lea Tsang December 18, 2018

Hi @Mirre Snelting, I believe by 'Which field/custom field will you use for milestone?', @Thomas Deiler was asking what search terms in JQL you'll be using to group the tickets by milestone. So, in order to create a filter, you need a criteria to filter by. There's already, by default, a field for Assignee, which is why you can filter the results in the board by assignee. If you want to filter by milestone, then you'll need a field in the tickets themselves that hold the milestone values so you can filter for them. 

Theoretically, the system fields Version or Components could be used to set these milestones on the ticket, but if these fields are being reserved for other uses, then a custom field (probably a dropdown) should be created for Milestones (your Jira admin can do this). Once this value is set on the tickets, you can go ahead and create quickfilter for Milestones = "milestone 1" and this will return all the tickets on the board with the Milestone custom field set to "milestone 1".

I believe that Quick filters is the only mechanism for filtering values on the board. There isn't a way to add a separate top level filter (like the Assignee one) - you can only access your filters in the Quick filter drop down.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer