Adding an Issue Property using Automation add-on and make it searchable using issue.property JQL

RianS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2018

I was adding some Issue properties using the Automation add-on that we will use for other automation rules, etc. But we also want to search on these issue properties using the JQL construct issue.propery["ISSUEPROPERTY"].ATTRIBUTE to surface particular issues in Service Desk Queues.

It seems like the issue properties that I create are not indexed by JIRA. I've done some searching and it appears that issue properties that are added by plugins can be made indexed by editing the jiraEntityProperties definition. But because these were created by this plugin, I'm not sure there's a way to make these indexed.

Is there a way to force these to get indexed?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2018

Hi Rian,

Yes you're correct that entity properties added through our 'Set entity property' action aren't indexed.  As you mentioned this would require an entry in either the atlassian-plugin.xml (in server) or in the atlassian-connect descriptor in cloud (see https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/entity-properties/#how-do-i-make-the-properties-of-an-entity-searchable)

These entries are static though (meaning the add-on has to be re-installed anytime it changes) and I don't believe there's a way to mark issue properties to be indexed through a 'dynamic' API currently.  So in this case there's not much we can do unfortunately. We can't trigger an add-on re-installation anytime a 'Set entity property' action is added and we couldn't even update the atlassian-plugin.xml descriptor dynamically anyways.

Sorry, but in this case we're bound by Jira's API limitations.

Cheers,
Andreas

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2018

If you have Script Runner, you can insert a raw XML module in Script Fragments. Would this combination potentially work?

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2020

I imagine this could change given Atlassian's acquisition.

Ondřej Medek May 26, 2021

I've made a feature request do dynamic searchable properties configuration https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76710

Suggest an answer