Adding a new column to my team managed project

Robin Clark April 7, 2023

I have just begun the "Jira Essentials with Agile Mindset" course.  I've create a team-managed project and I want to add a new column to my workflow.  You can see in the screen shot below that I have created a column called "Review".  jiraQuestion1.JPG

My new column has a yellow exclamation point indicating a problem.  I am told to "Drag a status here to assign it to this column".  I don't see where to drag the status from?  This is a different scenario than the one I am trying to mimic in the course.  How do I get past this problem.

Is the problem that I used the "Scrum" template instead of the "Kanban" template?

Long story short, how do I add new columns into my team-managed Scrum project?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bryan Trummer - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

Hello @Robin Clark - Welcome to the community. My guess is that your workflow only has 3 statuses (To Do, In Progress, Done) which is why you are not seeing any other statuses to add to your newly created column. You will need to add a new status to the workflow that you would want to use for that review column. Once added, that status should appear on the right hand side of the board in the screen shot you are showing.

This is assuming that you have admin permissions in the project to add a new status.

Here is a document on how to add a status:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/how-to-create-workflows/

I am not a Jira Administrator and I am not a Project Administrator.  I am just a typical Jira user.  But I created my own team managed project so that I could try do the steps that are covered in the course I am taking.  Since I created the project, I would think that I have the ability to create new columns/add statuses etc.

In the course, it talks about "logging in as an admin" .  Because I am a typical user and I don't want to cause problems in my company's existing Jira instance, should I use a separate free Jira cloud instance as I work thru the course?  Or should I try to work thru the course using my real work Jira instance?

I think that I figured out how to overcome my problem.  Instead of clicking on the 3 dots and choosing "Configure board", I am clicking the plus + sign in order to add a column on the main board.  From that view I am able to create a new column.  

In any case, I'd like to understand the difference between the "configure the board" menu option and just clicking+ on the main board.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

Selecting the + sign is a simple version of adding and a column to your board and a relative status to the workflow. This can only be achieved by having a simplified workflow.

Configure board is a little more in depth of adding a column and using any status to map to it rather than just it matching the name.

Thank you.  I will continue my course and my exploration!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2023

Clarification @Bryan Trummer - ReleaseTEAM 

With a Team Managed project the concept of a "simplified workflow" does not apply. Simplified Workflow applies only to boards for Company Managed projects.

Like Robin Clark likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2023

@Trudy Claspill - Very true, thanks for noticing that!

0 votes
Suseendran Rajkumar April 7, 2023

Hi @Robin Clark ,

Before add status "Review" in column.

First you have to add "Review" status in workflow.

look up these document, it may clarify your queries.

1.Manage-how-work-flows-in-your-team-managed-project

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/manage-how-work-flows-in-your-team-managed-project/

2.Assign-statuses-and-edit-columns-in-a-team-managed-project

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/assign-statuses-and-edit-columns-in-a-team-managed-project/

0 votes

I tried adding a team managed project using the Kanban template but I am still seeing the same problem when I try to add a column to my "Project Settings" -> Configure Board.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events