Added a Field to Screen, how to get it visible to Issue?

Matt Perdeck March 6, 2019

I have added a custom field to a screen. When I now create a new Jira item or edit it, it does not appear by default, but I have to add it using the Configure Fields button.

Problem with this is that:

1. I want to make the field appear by default for all users, without them having to click the Configure Fields button.
  2. The dropdown that appears when you click Configure Fields is limited in height. We have a great many fields. As a result, the dropdown doesn't show all our fields. So I can't add the field even for only my own account.
  3. I also noticed that if I select "All" on the Configure Fields dropdown, my fields are organized into tabs. But if I select "Custom" than the selected fields appear in a long list, without tabbing.

What I'm trying to find out is:

1. How do I make my new custom field appear by default for all users on the Create and Edit screens of Jira items in my project?
  2. How do ensure that the fields are always organized in tabs for all users, instead of arranged in a long list?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jira configure fields dropdown cut off.JPG

4 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2019

Hi Matt, 

The only way I have found to force a new field to show up without going to Configure fields is to have a value in the field. Which means that we put a default value in there. Although I have not tried a default of just a space in it, that might be worth a try. The other thing is a simple period (.) or an actual default like NA. 

The other option is to use the new JIRA Issue view which will then show all fields even if there is no value. 

0 votes
Marko Isola April 20, 2023

Is there any progress / solution to this. I just had a user asking me how to make all (30+) custom fields visible in Create screen without going to Configure fields and click them one by one.

0 votes
Maya Chase April 26, 2022

I would also like my users not to have to go into the Configure Fields button screen. If the field is required, it will always show, that's the only workaround I know.

0 votes
IT Frastanz March 6, 2019

Go to "Issues" --> "Screens" and press "Configure" on the project Screen you need. There you see all the Fields. Add your Field and it will appear.

Suggest an answer